Bursary applications for Trimester 3 2020 close 15 December 2020
Bursary applications for Trimester 1 2021 close 31 March 2021
15% reduction per unit on your enrolment fees on your postgraduate award course at Deakin University.
This bursary is applied to your tuition fees once eligibility has been confirmed.
The Deakin Alumni postgraduate bursary is available to Deakin alumni and their immediate family commencing postgraduate award course in a full-fee paying place.
To be eligible you must be:
- a Deakin alumnus, or an immediate family member of a Deakin alumnus and
- a commencing student* in a postgraduate award course and
- enrolled in a full-fee paying place
* Please refer to exclusions below.
Glossary of terms
We’ve provided the following definitions of the eligibility criteria for this bursary:
- Deakin alumni: a student who has completed an award course at Deakin University.
- Commencing student*: a student is considered commencing if they are enrolled in the first study period of their award course and not previously been enrolled after the census date.
- Immediate family member: includes a parent, sibling (including half-siblings), child (including formally adopted children), spouse, step parent or step child. Immediate family member does not include aunts, uncles, cousins, parents-in-law, siblings-in-law, nieces or nephews.
- Antecedent institute: please refer to the list of antecedent institutes.
- Postgraduate award courses include:
- Graduate certificates
- Graduate diplomas
- Masters by coursework
- For Alumni eligibility purposes, award course includes:
- bachelor degrees
- honours bachelor degrees
- graduate certificates
- graduate diplomas
- master degrees
- higher degrees by research
* Please refer to Exclusions below.
The Deakin alumni postgraduate bursary:
- is not available to current Deakin University staff unless the staff member is also a Deakin graduate or an immediate family member of a Deakin alumnus.
- cannot be held concurrently with any other scholarship, bursary or discount offered by Deakin University. (If you are offered any other scholarship, scholarship-like payment, bursary or discount you need to choose which one you wish to hold).
- will not apply to postgraduate studies undertaken in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP).
- will not apply to students who hold a Deakin Diploma as their highest achieved study level at Deakin University.
- will not apply retrospectively should your eligibility change during your studies.
- will not apply if you have not completed prior studies before commencing a new postgraduate course. Studies in your commencing postgraduate degree must be in later study periods and cannot be undertaken concurrently with your first degree at Deakin.
If eligibility is maintained, the bursary will apply for the normal duration of your course. The Deakin alumni postgraduate bursary is applied directly to your tuition fee invoice. You can see if the bursary has been applied by viewing your tuition fee invoice, in StudentConnect, each study period.
The Deakin alumni postgraduate bursary also applies to Credential units when taken as a part of your postgraduate award course.
The Deakin alumni postgraduate bursary is not transferable. If you transfer to another postgraduate course of study, the bursary will be withdrawn and will not be available for your new course of study.
Withdrawal of this bursary
The Deakin alumni postgraduate bursary will be withdrawn from all study periods and you will be required to immediately pay any outstanding amount if:
- you have been found to have supplied incorrect or misleading information during the admission and enrolment process or in your statutory declaration (if applicable)
- you have been found to have breached the University’s student code of conduct.
Other scholarship offers
If you are offered another Deakin scholarship, bursary or fee discount relating to your postgraduate award course, you will only be able to hold one. You will be asked to nominate which scholarship, bursary or fee discount arrangement you would like to hold. If you do not make a nomination the Deakin alumni postgraduate bursary will automatically be withdrawn.
How to apply
If you are a Deakin alumni there is no application process. Your eligibility to receive the Deakin alumni postgraduate bursary will be assessed at the time of enrolment. If eligible, the bursary will be applied directly to your tuition fees.
If you are an alumnus of an antecedent institute please email the Deakin Admissions team, email@example.com to confirm your eligibility.
Immediate family members
If you're an immediate family member of a Deakin alumni please email the Deakin Admissions team, firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your eligibility. Once your eligibility is confirmed, you must submit a statutory declaration stating you are an immediate family member of a Deakin alumnus. The statutory declaration must include the full name and student ID number of your related Deakin alumnus, your relationship to the Deakin alumnus and your full name and student ID number.
Applications must be received prior to census date of a teaching period. The bursary will not be applied to studies completed prior to the application date. Eligible applications received after census date of the current teaching period will result in the bursary being applied to the next relevant teaching period for the remainder of your studies. The bursary will not be applied retrospectively after course completion.
If you are an alumnus of one of Deakin’s antecedent institutes (or an immediate family member), please email the Deakin Admissions team, email@example.com to confirm your eligibility.
Deakin Alumni Community
Being part of our Alumni Community means you can enjoy the advantages of studying at Deakin even after you've left. You can meet and reconnect with fellow alumni, keep updated with the latest news from Deakin and access all sorts of excellent benefits, from career services to discounted accommodation.
For further information or to confirm your eligibility for the Deakin alumni postgraduate bursary please contact the Deakin Admissions team, firstname.lastname@example.org.