This bursary is automatically applied to eligible alumni.
15% reduction per unit on your enrolment fees on your postgraduate award course at Deakin University.
This scholarship is available for the normal duration of the course.
The Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary is only available to Deakin alumni and their Immediate Family commencing* a postgraduate award course (excluding students enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)). The Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary is subsequently applied for the life of the degree. Normal Deakin postgraduate admission requirements apply.
To be eligible for the Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary applicants must be:
- a Deakin alumnus OR
- an ‘Immediate Family Member’
- be ‘Commencing Student’ of a postgraduate award course (either full time or part time, on-campus or online at the Cloud Campus)*
- not a student enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP).
For the purposes of Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary eligibility the following definitions apply:
Commencing Student means starting a new course with no previously achieved credit points towards that course.
Immediate Family Member means a parent, sibling (including half-siblings), child (including formally adopted children), spouse or step parent or step child. For the avoidance of doubt, Immediate Family Member does not include aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings in-law; nieces or nephews.
*A student who is not a Commencing Student will still be entitled to the Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary if:
- They are an Immediate Family Member of an alumnus.
- They have previously completed an award course at Deakin in a different stream to the course to which they seek to have the postgraduate bursary applied.
As such, a student who has only completed:
- a) a Graduate Certificate; or
b) Graduate diploma,
at Deakin and
- c) is not a spouse; or
- d) immediate family member,
of an alumnus, will not be eligible for the Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary for a higher award course in the same stream, where they are seeking recognition of prior learning for their Graduate Certificate or Graduate diploma units.
This Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary is limited to Deakin alumni who are graduates of an award course from Deakin University see Award Courses section below . Former DUELI students who hold a Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary awarded in 2016 will continue to receive a 10% reduction per unit on their enrolment fees until completion or termination of their postgraduate award course.
The Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary is limited to Deakin alumni who are graduates of an award course from Deakin University. Former DUELI students who hold a bursary awarded in 2016 will continue to receive a 10% reduction per unit on their enrolment fees until completion or termination of their postgraduate award course.
Award Courses means:
- Higher Education Awards:
- Bachelors Degrees;
- Honours Bachelor Degrees;
- Master Degrees;
- Higher Degrees;
- University Certificates;
- Graduate Certificates; and
- Graduate Diplomas;
- Vocational Education and Training (VET) Awards:
- VET Certificates, and
- VET Diplomas;
- Higher Doctorates; and
- Honorary Degrees.
The Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary will only be applied to credentials if they are core structure for a postgraduate award course and the student satisfies all other terms and conditions.
In 2018 the Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary will be automatically applied to fees for eligible alumni. Immediate Family Members must contact the Alumni Relations Office for assistance. The bursary cannot be applied until a student enrols and it can take up until the census date to be processed. If you would like to confirm your eligibility, please email the Alumni Relations Office with your student number.
Please continue to pay your fees as stated on your invoice.
IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS OF ALUMNI, AND ANTECEDENT ALUMNI.
If you are an alumnus of an antecedent institute, or an Immediate Family Member of an alumnus of one of Deakin’s antecedent institute, please email the Alumni Relations Office to confirm your eligibility.
When contacting the Alumni Relations Office for a Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary as an Immediate Family Member of a Deakin alumnus, students must submit a statutory declaration stating they are an Immediate Family Member of a Deakin alumnus.
This statutory declaration must include the full name of the Immediate Family Member, their student number, and the full name and student number of the related Deakin alumnus.
- The Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary is not available to current Deakin University staff members (unless they are also a graduate of Deakin or an Immediate Family Member of a Deakin alumnus).
- The Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary is not available to students using any other scholarship, bursary or discount at Deakin University. If the student is offered two or more bursaries and/or scholarships they will be asked to choose which they prefer.
- The Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary will not apply retrospectively or to any studies currently being undertaken by the applicant.
- The Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary is non-transferrable to any other Deakin degree or institution. Course transfers will result in the bursary being automatically withdrawn.
- The bursary is not available to students undertaking honours studies.
How to apply
There is no application process. Your eligibility to receive the Deakin postgraduate alumni bursary will be assessed at the time of enrolment. If eligible, it will automatically be applied to your tuition fees.
Withdrawal of bursary
The Deakin Alumni Postgraduate Course Fee Bursary will be withdrawn immediately if:
- the recipient has been found to have supplied incorrect or misleading information during the application process or in their statutory declaration (if applicable)
- the recipient transfers to another course
- the recipient, subsequent to enrolling, receives any other scholarship, bursary or discount at Deakin University.
You can still enjoy the advantages of studying at Deakin, even after you’ve left. Deakin Alumni can access all sorts of excellent benefits. From discounts on hotel bookings to a 15% postgraduate bursary.