Applications for Trimester 1 open 16 December 2019.
Applications for Trimester 1 close 22 January 2020 5pm.
Cash payment of up to $7500 per year for up to three or four years depending on course duration.
Prospective candidates should ensure they meet all criteria before submitting their application.
To be eligible you must:
- be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- have completed your VCE (or interstate equivalent) or International Baccalaureate in the previous two years
- be a commencing student enrolled in any undergraduate degree at Deakin University in Trimester 1 2020
- demonstrate you have previously or are currently residing in an out-of-home care arrangement (foster/kinship care, group homes or refuges),
Preference will be given to students able to demonstrate financial hardship, either that you receive a means-tested Centrelink benefit or have a personal or combined family taxable income below $56 000, depending on independence status.
As a scholarship recipient you must:
- provide an introductory statement about your goals for study and what it means to receive the scholarship
- provide a yearly impact statement for the duration of the scholarship
- maintain a minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 50 for the duration of the scholarship
- be open to meeting with the donor.
As part of the application process, you will need to provide supporting documentation to confirm your circumstances. Your application will not be considered complete until you upload your documentation.
The supporting documentation for this scholarship includes:
- evidence of residing in out-of-home care. e.g. documentation from supporting department or agency, letters from case workers, copy of discharge documents or similar
- evidence of your financial hardship (if relevant).
Applying for a scholarship isn’t just about meeting the eligibility criteria.
It’s a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship, how it will help you and what you have to offer the Deakin community.
How to apply
Apply through VTAC
If you’re applying to study at Deakin through VTAC and you completed a VTAC scholarship application, you’ll automatically be considered for this scholarship.
Apply directly to Deakin
If you did not complete a VTAC scholarship application or you are a commencing student who has deferred a previous year's course offer you can apply for this scholarship directly through our Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.
What happens next
Your application will be assessed and ranked based on the details you provide and your supporting documentation.
You’ll find out if you were successful within six weeks after applications close.