Learn about the production, distribution and consumption of wealth. Economics is offered as a major in Deakin’s Bachelor of Commerce and combined commerce courses; it's a social science based on human behaviour that aims to enhance all aspects of business.
An economics major can provide the basis of a specialist career in economic research and policy, as well as the background for many versatile careers in industry and finance. You'll gain business acumen and learn how to adapt to various policy environments, which will give you extra flexibility in your area of expertise. The quantitative and analytical skills you develop will be highly valued by employers, setting you on the right path to a rewarding career.
Undergraduate (your first degree)
An undergraduate degree is generally completed between two to four years, depending on the pattern of study and any recognition of prior learning you may have. Associate degrees, bachelor and bachelor with honours are all undergraduate degrees.
Higher Degrees by Research (supervised research)
Research degrees are research based master’s or PhD programs that focus on a single area of expertise. They provide students the opportunity to carry out highly specialised research under expert supervision.
Careers in economics can span a vast array of industries. Some of the work you could find yourself doing includes:
- analysis, policy advice, research, risk analysis, strategic planning
- analysing data, trends, issues and policy advice
- econometrics, forecasting, modelling, policy advice, quantitative analytics, research
- financial modelling
- international journalism
- international relations
- international strategy
- property/architecture analysis, data management, modelling
- social welfare/environmental impact
- statistical modelling.
Learn from the best
Our staff have expertise in areas such as economic theory, international trade, economic growth and development, industrial relations and political economy. With industry knowledge and connections, your learning will be shaped by current practice, making you well-prepared to enter the workforce.
Deakin has been awarded the following prestigious accreditations:
- Deakin Business School (DBS) is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Only five per cent of business programs worldwide are AACSB accredited and DBS is one of only three business schools in Victoria to achieve this recognition.
- DBS has been awarded EQUIS accreditation through the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). This global best-practice recognition places Deakin Business School in the top 1 per cent of business schools worldwide.
Deakin gives you exciting and up-to-date training in analytical thinking that can be used across a wide range of occupations.
Head of Department of Economics
Research with us
If you'd like to develop a deeper understanding of how economic forces and behaviours can affect our world, study a higher degree by research with us. Make a real, practical difference to peoples' lives and your career.
Browse other disciplines within business
Choose an area that you're interested in and learn how Deakin's extensive range of study options and experiences can help turn your dreams into reality.