Do you get a thrill out of bringing people together? Study event management and you'll develop a comprehensive set of skills to design, market, promote and plan events such as festivals, sporting events, community celebrations and conferences.
Event management is a growing area of work across diverse fields such as business, government, education and the community sector. Through hands-on industry experience, you’ll gain study credit and enhance your career prospects by learning on the job through business internships, community-based volunteering and international study opportunities.
Undergraduate (your first degree)
An undergraduate degree is generally completed between two to four years, depending on the pattern of study and any recognition of prior learning you may have. Associate degrees, bachelor and bachelor with honours are all undergraduate degrees.
Higher Degrees by Research (supervised research)
Research degrees are research based master’s or PhD programs that focus on a single area of expertise. They provide students the opportunity to carry out highly specialised research under expert supervision.
Event managers are employed by business, government, education and not-for-profit organisations. This work is undertaken by staff working in marketing, public relations, fundraising, professional development, human resources, economic development, tourism, sport, community development and the arts. Event management work includes a range of team member, manager and consultancy roles. Roles in the industry include:
- community development manager
- conference organiser or functions manager
- event manager of operations
- hospitality business development manager
- venue manager
- wedding planner.
Be work-ready on graduation
Learn to design events that appeal to diverse audiences, and are delivered on time and to budget. You'll examine a range of management processes that you can take into your career including project management, operations and logistics, risk and financial management, and strategic marketing.
The Deakin Business School (DBS) has been awarded the following prestigious accreditations:
- DBS is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Only five per cent of business programs worldwide are AACSB accredited and DBS is one of only three business schools in Victoria to achieve this recognition.
- The school has also been awarded EQUIS accreditation through the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). This global best-practice recognition places Deakin Business School in the top 1 per cent of business schools worldwide.
Research with us
If you’ve got a great idea on event management that you’d like to bring to life, consider taking on a higher degree by research with us.
Browse other disciplines within business
Choose an area that you're interested in and learn how Deakin's extensive range of study options and experiences can help turn your dreams into reality.