Human resource managementDiscipline
Managing people is a skill required by all managers in all industries. By studying human resources management you’ll gain an in-depth understanding of employment relations, strategic staffing and performance management.
An understanding of how to manage human resources is critical for all managers. Human resource management covers recruitment, selection, training and development, workplace diversity, employee relations, performance and change management and remuneration. Develop invaluable counselling, mediation and negotiation skills that will stand you in good stead in any field you enter in the future.
Undergraduate (your first degree)
An undergraduate degree is generally completed between two to four years, depending on the pattern of study and any recognition of prior learning you may have. Associate degrees, bachelor and bachelor with honours are all undergraduate degrees.
Postgraduate (further study)
A postgraduate qualification can be undertaken by students who have already completed an undergraduate degree or possess significant, demonstrable work experience. Postgraduate courses include graduate certificates, graduate diplomas, master’s and PhDs, as well as specialist programs for industry professionals.
There are vast opportunities for human resource management graduates at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. You could gain employment in the following roles:
- change consultant or manager
- employment relations officer or manager
- HR administrator
- HR adviser or consultant
- HR analyst
- industrial relations officer or manager
- organisational development officer, manager or consultant
- payroll or HR compensation officer
- recruitment officer
- talent acquisition officer
- training and development officer or manager.
I learnt so much about the corporate world, and studying overseas was single handedly the most amazing, educating and broadening experience of my life.
Bachelor of Commerce (majoring in human resource management and marketing)
Be rewarded for the work you’ve already put in
Recognition of prior learning (RPL) is Deakin’s way of recognising the hard work you’ve already put into your studies or career. Through RPL you may be able to have your work and study experience recognised with course credit points, reducing your course duration and tuition costs. For instance, applicants who have completed the AHRI Practising Certification Program from 2016 onwards may be eligible for RPL for the Master of Human Resource Management.
Deakin has been awarded the following prestigious accreditations:
- Deakin Business School (DBS) is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Only five per cent of business programs worldwide are AACSB accredited and DBS is one of only three business schools in Victoria to achieve this recognition.
- DBS has been awarded EQUIS accreditation through the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). This global best-practice recognition places Deakin Business School in the top 1 per cent of business schools worldwide.
- Deakin's Master of Human Resource Management is accredited by the Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI). AHRI is the national peak association that represents human resource and management professionals.
If you can’t attend on-campus lectures due to geographical reasons or work commitments, our human resource management courses are offered online through Deakin's Cloud Campus.
Research with us
If you’ve got a great insight that you've uncovered and are interested in honing it, take your study to the next level with a higher degree by research. Make a practical and invaluable contribution to your existing workplace or broaden your graduate career possibilities.
Why it's boom time to pursue a HR career
Like many industries, human resources management is riding a wave of change and now is your chance to take advantage of it.
Three steps to find time for study, work and life
Set yourself up for success by following these three steps to manage your time.
Who we work with
Deakin's human resource management courses are offered by specialist academic staff who engage with industry academics and professionals from a diverse range of organisations, including:
- AFL Sports Ready
- Armaguard Linfox
- CPA Australia
- Cricket Australia
- Dairy Australia
- DST Global Solutions
- Fair Work Australia
- Public Transport Victoria
- Whitehorse City Council.
Browse other disciplines within business
Choose an area that you're interested in and learn how Deakin's extensive range of study options and experiences can help turn your dreams into reality.