You’ll focus on the practical development of sport, and community growth through sport. This specialist field centres on increasing participation in sport and creating pathways to make it easier for people to initiate and continue their participation. Thanks to industry-based learning opportunities, you'll be ready to make a difference the moment you walk out the door.
Undergraduate (your first degree)
An undergraduate degree is generally completed between two to four years, depending on the pattern of study and any recognition of prior learning you may have. Associate degrees, bachelor and bachelor with honours are all undergraduate degrees.
If you’d like a career that keeps you on your feet, sport development could be for you. You could find employment in a number of roles, including becoming a:
- community programs coordinator
- participation coordinator
- player development manager
- sport and recreation officer
- sport development manager
- sport development officer
- sport performance officer
- sports coach
- sports policy officer.
Gain the employment edge
Bringing together the disciplines of sport management and marketing, sport coaching and sport exercise science, you’ll get a unique set of tools to promote sport in the community.
Research with the best
You’ll have opportunities to benefit from and participate in the latest research. You’ll also have access to professional networks and contacts in the sports sector. You can also develop an in-depth knowledge of your particular area of interest in an honours year.
Our research partners include:
- Department of Health and Human services
- Parks Victoria
- World Health Organization
- Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth).
Who we work with
We work with a diverse range of partners, including:
- Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute
- Disability Sports Australia
- Exercise Research Australia
- Geelong Football Club
- Victorian Institute of Sport
- YMCA Australia.
Browse other disciplines within sport
Choose an area that you're interested in and learn how Deakin's extensive range of study options and experiences can help turn your dreams into reality.