Ranked #20 online MBA worldwide
Top 1% of universities worldwide*
40 years of distance and online teaching excellence
Learn to apply and champion design thinking in your organisation
Join us in four engaging sessions on the topic of design thinking – a process for creative problem solving. Adopt a human-centred, iterative approach to problem-solving by exploring the latest creative tools such as personas, empathy with users, a tolerance for failure and a discipline of prototyping, unlocking the big and small opportunities in your organisation.
This masterclass in design thinking will provide you with an understanding of how design thinking can be applied across organisations to drive performance and outcomes. In this masterclass, you will:
- build a foundation in understanding design thinking
- grow your confidence and competence with design thinking methodology
- gain the ability to analyse and solve business challenges through design thinking.
After completing the masterclass, you will be well placed to apply design thinking in your own work and be a champion for design thinking in your organisation.
Presenter: Mike Stevenson
Mike is Principal Consultant at The Healthy Organisation, a customer-centred innovation consultancy focused on helping organisations deliver better outcomes for their customers, stakeholders and organisation. The Healthy Organisation applies human-centred design to the creation of new products, services, systems that drive value through total customer experiences.
Day one synopsis
- What is design thinking?
- Mindsets for competitive advantage
- Failing to learn
- Bias to action/effective optimism
- Design thinking for organisation challenges
- Facts, fables and hypotheses
- Identifying high value opportunities
- Scoping and scaling design challenges
Day two synopsis
- Assembling challenge teams
- Tools to make for humans
- Prototyping in practice
- From innovation to implementation
- Failing fast for success
You must attend all four masterclass sessions to record a pass mark.
For more information on this and other masterclasses, please check our frequently asked questions (PDF, 132KB).
I was aware of the design thinking approach however had never used it personally. I really enjoyed learning more about this user centred approach to problem solving and know my teams and I will benefit from it greatly in the future. Thank you Mike.
Past MBA student
Create a plan for how you will apply design thinking to a challenge you are facing in your work at the moment. This context may be the work you do in your day job with your employer, your volunteer work, your startup, side hustle or another similar context where you apply your efforts and talents to help others.
In this task, you will need to:
- identify a work challenge of your choice
- create a plan to apply design thinking to the challenge
- work to implement your plan
- describe your plan, identify challenges you faced to date and reflect on what you learnt from the experience.
You are not required to complete your plan as part of this assessment. Where your plan is still in progress, you may treat this as a point in time progress report and you will reflect on your experience up to this point.
You are not required to have solutions to every challenge you encountered, only to show you have given thought to how you might adapt to these challenges when you face them again.
You have the choice to complete this as either:
- a written 2500-word report or
- a 20–30 minute 1:1 presentation via Zoom.
If you choose to complete this assignment as a written report, your submission is due at or before 9pm 4 weeks after the last class.
If you choose to complete this assignment as a presentation, your presentation will be booked at a mutually agreed time 4–6 weeks after the last class.
*ARWU Rankings 2020