Collection guidelines - Reading Nook
Our Reading Nook collection provides a small, attractive, and current range of popular print titles.
- Enrich student learning experiences and recreational reading.
- Provide a 'bridging collection' to introduce students to the Library.
- Support overseas students and IELTS .
- Cross promote initiatives like author visits and book clubs.
- Available at each campus library.
- Located in small, attractive spaces conducive to browsing, reading and promotions.
- Deakin staff and students, including Deakin College, can borrow Reading Nook items for 2 weeks.
- Books can be renewed 3 times before they are returned.
- Standard overdue points will be issued if items are not returned on time.
- Books cannot be borrowed by staff or students at other libraries.
Collection acquisition and management
- Selection of materials is undertaken by Acquisition Librarians and based on current trends in popular titles.
- Regular review and deselection is undertaken.
- Suggestions for new titles are considered if they are easily acquired and maintained, and the budget permits.
- No donations are accepted.
- The collection is limited in size to approximately 1000 titles per campus.
- The titles are spread across all campuses with minimal duplication.
- Best sellers and popular fiction
- Light non-fiction, such as biographies and travelogues
- Graphic novels
- Literary classics and poetic works - these are collected under the Library's literature profile
- Foreign language material
- Erotic fiction
- Very light fiction eg: westerns, romance (Mills and Boon)