Borrow from our libraries
Changes due to COVID-19
Please note that the information on this page may not reflect the current circumstances in the library due to the ongoing pandemic. Please read our blog Changes to your library during the COVID-19 response for the latest information.
- What can I borrow and for how long?
- How to borrow books
- How to return books
- Borrow e-books
- Photocopy requests
- Borrow digital equipment
- My account
- Delivery service
- Information for other libraries
What can I borrow and for how long?
- All Deakin University and Deakin College students can borrow 50 items
- Deakin staff, Master’s and PhD students can borrow 100 items
- Community members can borrow 10 items
After your initial borrowing period, items are automatically renewed two days prior to the due date unless:
- It is requested by another user
- It is restricted material (1 day, Reserve and some equipment)
- You have reached the maximum number of renewals (see tables)
To find out when your book is due, login to My account.
The automatic renewal periods are set up so that all Deakin students and staff can keep their eligible borrowed items for up to a year, and community members for up to nine weeks, providing no other user requests them. Detailed information is set out below.
|Borrower||Loan Period||Maximum renewals|
|Staff, DeakinCo||42 days||16|
|Campus students, DUELI, Deakin College||42 days||8|
|Cloud Campus students (including overseas), PhD/master’s students||42 days||8|
|Students referred by Disability Resource Centre (DRC)||42 days||8|
|Community members (includes CAVAL, ULANZ, School Students, Alumni, DeakinCo VET )||21 days||2|
7 day loans
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, our seven day loan items are now available for 15 days.
|Borrower||Loan Period||Maximum renewals|
|Staff, PhD/master’s students, DeakinCo||15 days||23|
|Campus students, DUELI, Deakin College||15 days||50|
|Cloud Campus students (including overseas), PhD/master’s students||15 days||23|
|Students referred by Disability Resource Centre (DRC)||15 days||23|
Deakin staff and students may borrow from other libraries using Bonus+ for a 21-day loan period. Items are automatically renewed two times providing no other user has requested it.
2 hour loans
Deakin staff and students can borrow high use items for 2 hours. They cannot be placed on hold or delivered, and you cannot renew them.
If you borrow a 2 hour loan within 2 hours of closing time, it must be returned as soon as your campus library opens the next day.
Sanctions may be applied for overdue 2 hour loans.
Students registered with the DRC can borrow 2 hour loans for 1 day.
How to borrow books
- Find your book. To do this, use Library Search.
- Locate it on the shelf and continue to checkout. If your item is not at your campus, or available:
- 'Request it' and follow the prompts.
- You will receive an email confirming your request, advising that your item will be posted to you once it becomes available.
- Your item will be posted to you, along with a return postage bag.
- If you do not want your item posted, please contact the library so we can arrange a safe alternative.
Note: For item requests from another campus, allow 1-3 weekdays for transit, from available date.
You may be able to borrow from other libraries if we don't have what you're looking for.
How to return books
Return your book to any of our campus libraries:
- at the Service Desk
- through the return chute (near the Service Desk)
- through the after-hours return chute
- via the prepaid postal bag (supplied with your delivery)
- by airmail (overseas students), please send your receipt for reimbursement separately
If you need a copy of an article that is not online, submit a copy request form. We'll email a copy of your document within 5 days.
Borrow digital equipment
For equipment and assistive technology you can use, check your campus library. The range of equipment varies between campuses.
View and renew your items
Renew items that you have on loan from a few days before they are due.
- Select 'Checkouts' in My account
- Select the item(s) you wish to renew
- Click 'Renew Marked' or 'Renew All'
Items that can not be renewed include:
- Items on hold by other borrowers
- reserve items (2 hour loans)
- 1 day loan items
- Interlibrary loans
Note: To limit overdue points, please return items on time.
Cancel your hold
View your reading history
You can keep track of the items you have borrowed.
- Select 'Reading History' in My account
- Click 'Save Reading History'
Note: Only items borrowed after you 'Save Reading History' will be listed.
Who can use it?
- PhD students
- Cloud Campus students
- campus students only enrolled in online units
- students with a disability may also be eligible
Get an item delivered
- Select from your search result
- Choose 'Postal Delivery' as your pickup location
Visit our FAQs for appropriate delivery times.
Note: 1 day and 2 hour loans cannot be delivered.
Return your book by post
Return your item to:
Library Delivery Service
Deakin University Library
Locked bag 20000
Geelong, Victoria, Australia 3220
You will receive a prepaid postal bag with your delivery.
Please allow 4 business days for return delivery to us.
Simply airmail your item to the address above.
Return postage will be at your own expense, though you can apply for reimbursement of the postage fee (not custom fee) by sending a copy of your receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to the address above.
Your receipt should contain the cost of postage in the local currency and our delivery address.
Reimbursements can be:
- deposited into an Australian bank account
- sent as an overseas draft
- transferred to your overseas bank account ($10 fee)
We do not reimburse customs duty fees.
Information for other libraries
We lend material from our collections under the terms of The Australian Interlibrary Resource Sharing (ILRS) Code. We supply loans and copies of material in accordance with the Copyright Act (1968) and its amendments.
We offer 8 week loans, with no renewals.
Material generally not available for loan includes:
- whole journal issues
- special collections
- recently published books
- electronic resources
- reference material
- reading list material
- audio-visual items
Please email our interlibrary loan staff if you have any further queries.
New Zealand libraries
Loans or copy requests up to 50 pages ar A$15.00 (per item, GST exempt) including postage.
- Loans are A$45.00 (or 4 IFLA vouchers).
- Copy requests up to 50 pages are A$25.00 (per item) or 1 IFLA voucher per 15 pages.
Request access to a Deakin thesis
Many Deakin theses can be downloaded from Deakin’s institutional repository, DRO.
You can request access to a thesis that is not available for download, provided it is required for research or study purposes, by contacting the Interlibrary loan team.
New copies of theses can be provided as a PDF, CD-ROM or unbound photocopy. If you wish to add the copy to your Library collection, you must also seek permission from the copyright owner (author).
To request a copy of a thesis, you will need to:
Any thesis that has been embargoed due to sensitive or confidential material cannot be supplied.