Frequently asked questions
What is my Library ID number?
How many items can I borrow?
This depends on your type of membership. Find out what you can borrow from our libraries.
Is there a cost to borrow items?
No. There is no cost for you to borrow items from us.
Why can't I renew this book?
- Another borrower may have placed a hold on the item. Refer to the 'Status' column in My account for more details.
- You may have a blocked account.
- It may be too early to renew.
How do I access e-books?
Follow our simple guide to view e-books.
Why can't I login or access any databases?
- You were trying to access a database not included in your membership.
- You have an encumbrance or blocked account.
- You are not currently enrolled, or are intermitted.
- You typed your Deakin username and password incorrectly.
What does 'Unable to identify you through campus identification' mean?
There's a problem with your Deakin username and/or password.
Why can't I access the Library with my Deakin College details?
You need to use your Deakin username and password (letters only, e.g. chapwe), not your Deakin College username and password.
How do I find articles and books?
How do I choose which search option to use?
Our helpful handout explains how to easily find specific resources, including unit material, databases, journals and more.
What is the 'Hold Shelf'?
The shelf where your requested/hold books are stacked. They will be held there for 5 days, ready for you to pickup and checkout.
The Hold Shelves are near the Service Desk at each campus. If you have trouble finding them, just ask library staff.
How do I find the prescribed text for my unit?
Follow our guide to find unit material.
Only getting an abstract? Use FIND IT @ DEAKIN
Many article results link directly to the PDF or full text of the article. Are your search results only allowing access to an abstract? Select the FIND IT @ DEAKIN button from your results for other options to get the full text version.
What does 'LIB USE ONLY' mean?
The item cannot be taken out of the Library.
Can I get a book from another campus?
Yes, use our Request it service.
Can I get books posted to me?
Yes, Cloud students are eligible for our delivery service.
Why haven't I received my book?
Login to My account to see if the item is checked out to you.
- If it is, you can track when your book was sent by counting back from the due date:
- For 7 day loans, subtract 15 days
- For general loans, subtract 42 days
- We allow 4 business days for delivery within Australia, and 15 business days for overseas delivery. Before contacting us, please check your parcel status with your local post office.
- If the item is not checked out to you, it may still be on loan to another student. We will send it to you as soon as the item is returned.
Services and facilities
Can I take a library tour ?
Yes, check your campus library for more details.
Do you run workshops?
Yes. We schedule workshops for specific units and faculties as part of campus learning.
We also offer a range of workshops as part of the Deakin University HDR training program.
How do I book a group study room?
Online through Book a study room. Rooms can be booked up to a week in advance.
Lost and found items
We keep lost property for up to a week. then Deakin Central mind the items for up to 6 months.
If you find or lose an item, let us know. Either speak to staff at the Service Desk or contact us.
You need to bring proof of your identity to reclaim a valuable item.
How do I print, scan or photocopy in the Library?
Visit print@Deakin to find out print and photocopy costs.
Can I use the Library after I graduate?
Document supply service
Can I use the document supply service?
Yes, if you're a Deakin staff member or student and can't find the article you need, submit a request.
Do I have to pay for articles I request?
No not if you're accessed them from through using the Library website. If you're prompted to pay for an article, then contact library staff to ask for assistance in obtaining it.
If your question has not been answered here, contact us.