Kuruc-a-ruc Homestead Collection
- Scope and content note
- 'A pioneer family 1841-1903'
- Dog rocks survey
- Small cardboard album
- Burgundy coloured album
- Large album & list of photographers
Scope and content note
Situated in the Victorian township of Rokewood, Kuruc-a-ruc homestead was under the ownership of the Elder family from 1863-1963. The collection belonged to Miss Marion Elder, whose Grandparents Nairne Guthrie and Jessie Elder lived on the property.
Featured in the collection is a photographic copy of a manuscript entitled 'A pioneer family 1841-1903'. The manuscript details the history of the Rowe family from the time of William Rowe's arrival in Australia. During his search for land William spent time staying at Kuruc-a-ruc, which was then under the ownership of the Aitchinson family. The Rowe family acquired a large amount of land in the region, including the property of Glenfine.
The collection also contains a large album of portraits, taken predominantly by Melbourne and Geelong photographers. Two other albums feature miscellaneous family photographs. There is also a small collection of loose photographs and a newspaper article, which relate to a survey of the "Dog Rocks" near Geelong.
'A pioneer family 1841-1903'
The manuscript details a history of the Rowe family from the time of William Rowe's arrival in Australia in 1841. It provides an account of family life in regional Victoria during the second half of the 19th Century.
While in search of land, William became ill. During this time he stayed at Kuruc-a-ruc, which was then owned by the Aitchinson family. Though their assistance, William acquired local land known as "Naringal" and set up a sheep station. In 1857 he also purchased the nearby property of Glenfine. His son, William Thomas Rowe, later took over management of the property and commissioned the construction of the Glenfine homestead c.1873.
William Thomas married Elizabeth Stretch, daughter of Geelong's Archdeacon, Reverend Theodore Carlos Benoni Stretch. The manuscript primarily focuses on their life together at the homestead, including a period in the 1890s when the region became popular for gold mining. Elizabeth facilitated the development of the "Hollybush" township, which was built on the property to cater for miners of the Glenfine South mine.
The manuscript is accompanied by a photograph of cattle pulling a log through the bush.
Dog rocks survey
The collection contains eight loose and unlabelled photographs, which relate to a survey of the Dog Rocks near Geelong. These include images of landscape and native flora. Several photographs feature people involved in the survey and their cars. Accompanying the photographs is a newspaper clipping 'National Park Plans' by Charles Barrett.
Small cardboard album
Burgundy coloured album
The album is only partially filled. It includes unlabelled photographs, which feature images of children at the beach, local buildings and sailing boats. A significant number of images appear to relate to an international vacation. The album includes some loose photographs, including a portrait of a young child, which features the signature of Melbourne photographer, Alice Mills (1870-1929).
Large album & list of photographers
The album predominantly contains a number of portraits taken by Melbourne and Geelong photographers. Ballarat, Sydney and international photographers are also featured, as well as one portrait each from photographers in Rokewood, Adelaide and Hobart.
Miscellaneous photographs which appear in the album include the image of a Buninyong cemetery headstone, which features the family name Gillespie.
The table below provides a list of photographers featured in the album. Photographs are numbered by page and either A, B, C or D (left to right, top to bottom on the page), coresponding with their location in the album.
Photographer / Studio
|Alexander Brothers||88 Renfield Street, Glasgow||24D|
|Bardwell, William||Royal Arcade, Melbourne||1888-92||30|
|Bateman, John||St. George's Street, Canterbury||24C|
|Bear, William||60 Moorabool Street, Geelong||1880s||6|
|Burman, William J||209 Bourke Street East, St. George's Hall, Melbourne||12C|
|Chuck, Thomas Foster |
London Portrait Gallery
|Royal Arcade, Bourke Street East, Melbourne||1870-74||25A|
|Creelman & Co |
|Sydney Arcade, 408 George Street, Sydney||1886-1900||18|
|Duryea, T||158a Rundle Street, Adelaide||26A|
|Foster & Martin||29 & 31 Collins Street East, Melbourne||1879-87||13D |
|Freeman & Co||346 George Street, Sydney||1880-90||21A |
|Grouzelle, Louis||69 & 71 Swanston Street, Melbourne||1887-91||7A|
|Hellis, Robert & Sons||13 Silver Street, Notting Hill Gate W & 30 Clapham Road S. W, London||1870-||24A|
|Imperial Photographic Co||109 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne||1884-86||7C |
|Jamieson, J||42 Lothian Road, Edinburgh||10A |
|Johnstone, O'Shannessy & Co||3 Bourke Street, Melbourne||1865-86||7B |
|55 & 57 Collins Street, Melbourne||1886-88||4|
|Kilpatrick||8 Donegall Place, Belfast||5|
|Lindt, John William||7 Collins Street East, Melbourne||1876-88||13A |
|Matthews, William T & Co||60 Moorabool Street, Geelong||1880-81||8C |
|Matthews, William T & McGill, Helen||60 Moorabool Street, Geelong||12A |
|F. B. Mendelssohn & Co |
Queens Walk Studios
|80 Swanston Street, Melbourne||1889-1900||17|
|Millist, Robert William||Rokewood||1898||2|
|Perry, George William||Melbourne||1855-97||1|
|Richards, George & Co||19 Sturt Street, Ballarat||1886-96||9D|
|Shaw, George |
Viewpark Photo Art Studios
|Bruntsfield Links, Edinburgh||26B|
|Stewart & Co||217 Bourke Street, Melbourne ||1879-91||14D|
|217 & 219 Bourke Street, Melbourne||1881-89||14A |
|284-286 Bourke Street, Melbourne||1899-1900||19|
|Turner, Joseph & Co||60 Moorabool Street, Geelong||1857-64||12D|
|Turner, Joseph |
New Portrait Rooms
|66 Moorabool Street, Geelong||1865-67||11C |
|Tuttle & Co||84 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne||1883-91||22D|
|Waddington, Edmund Cosworth & Co||109 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne||1883-84||9C |
|Wherrett, Charles |
Melbourne Portrait Rooms
|83 Elizabeth Street, Hobart||1872-81||8B |
|Willett's Art Studio||161 Moorabool Street, Geelong||1889-1909||16|
|Willett's Elite Studio||Sturt & Bridge Streets, Ballarat||9A|
|Willett's Photographic Temple of Light||30 Bridge Street, Ballarat||1888-91||9B |
|Wilmot & Key |
Geelong Portrait Gallery
|31 Malop Street, Geelong||1865-||23A |
|Yeoman, John & Co||47 Chapel Street, Prahran||1884-91||32|
|169 Bourke Street East, Melbourne||1885-99||7D|