Borrow from our libraries
- What can I borrow and for how long?
- How to borrow books
- How to return books
- Borrow e-books
- Photocopy requests
- Assistive technology
- My account
- Delivery service
- Information for other libraries
What can I borrow and for how long?
- Deakin University undergraduates, Deakin College students and DUELI students can borrow 50 items
- Deakin staff, Master’s and PhD students can borrow 100 items
- Community members including CAVAL, ULANZ and Alumni can borrow 10 items
After your initial borrowing period, items (except 2 hour loans) are automatically renewed two days prior to the due date unless:
- the item is requested by another user
- you have reached the maximum number of renewals (see tables)
To find out when your book is due, login to My account.
The automatic renewal periods are set up so that all Deakin students and staff can keep their eligible borrowed items for up to a year, and community members for up to nine weeks, providing no other user requests them. Detailed information is set out below.
|Borrower||Loan Period||Maximum renewals|
|Staff, DeakinCo||21 days||16|
|Campus students, DUELI, Deakin College||21 days||8|
|Cloud Campus students (including overseas), PhD/master’s students||42 days||8|
|Students referred by Disability Resource Centre (DRC)||42 days||8|
|Community members (includes CAVAL, ULANZ, School Students, Alumni, DeakinCo VET )||21 days||2|
Short term loans
Loan periods for some print copies of items may be shorter than the general loan because they are:
- very expensive to purchase on our limited budget
- no longer printed/made available so difficult to replace
- in high demand by a lot of students (especially relevant items such as prescribed texts)
Loan periods may vary from 2 hours, 7 days, or 15 days (if you are eligible), and except for the 2 hour loans, will be automatically renewed up to 23 times if no one else has placed a request for it.
How to borrow books
- Find your book. To do this, use Library Search.
- Locate it on the shelf and continue to checkout. If your item is not at your campus, or is unavailable:
- Click on the 'Request it' button.
- Using the dropdown menu, select 'Click and collect' at your preferred campus.
- You will receive an email confirming your request.
- We'll email again once your item is available on the click and collect shelf at the campus library you selected.
- If you are a Cloud Campus student or have certain borrowing privileges, you may have the option to request free postal delivery for your requested item.
Note: For item requests from another campus, allow 1-3 weekdays for transit, from available date.
You may be able to borrow from other libraries if we don't have what you're looking for.
Deakin Borrow - Library borrowing app
Using this app, you can scan and check out library items right from the shelf, manage or renew your loans, and view the status of your requests.
- Download the app from the iOS App Store or Google Play Store by searching for "Deakin Borrow"
- Enter your library barcode number to login
- Borrow a book by scanning the barcode on the book
How to return books
Return your book to any of our campus libraries:
- at the Service Desk
- through the return chute (near the Service Desk or near the entrances to libraries/campuses)
- via the prepaid postal bag (supplied with your delivery)
- by airmail (overseas students), please send your receipt for reimbursement separately
If you need a copy of an article that we don't hold in our collection or we only have it in print journal, submit a copy request form.
Information about the availability of assitive technology within the Library can be found by checking your campus library.
View and renew your items
Renew items that you have on loan from a few days before they are due by following this process:
- Select 'Checkouts' in My account
- Select the item(s) you wish to renew
- Click 'Renew Marked' or 'Renew All'
Items that cannot be automatically renewed include:
- items on hold by other borrowers
- 2 hour loans
- interlibrary loans
If you require any items you have borrowed for a longer period of time, please contact library staff to discuss what can be arranged.
To limit sanctions, please return items on time.
Cancel your item request
View your reading history
You can keep track of the items you have borrowed by following this process:
- Select 'Reading History' in My account
- Click 'Save Reading History'
Note: Only items borrowed after you save your reading history will be listed.
Eligibility for free delivery service
Books can be mailed at no cost to:
- staff at their office
- PhD students
- Cloud Campus students
- students with a disability
If you are a campus-based student or a staff member, we may post an item to you depending on the circumstances as to why it is needed. Contact library staff to discuss further.
Get an item delivered
- Select from your search result.
- Choose 'Click and send' from the dropdown menu.
Note: 2 hour loans cannot be delivered because of the time taken to deliver items.
Return your book by post
Return your item to:
Library Delivery Service
Deakin University Library
Locked bag 20000
Geelong, Victoria, Australia 3220
You will receive a prepaid postal bag with your delivery.
Please allow 4 business days for return delivery to us.
Simply airmail your item to the return address above.
Return postage will be at your own expense, though you can apply for reimbursement of the postage fee (not custom fee) by sending a copy of your receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to the address above.
Your receipt should contain the cost of postage in the local currency and our delivery address.
Reimbursements can be:
- deposited into an Australian bank account
- sent as an overseas draft
- transferred to your overseas bank account ($10 fee)
We do not reimburse customs duty fees.
Information for other libraries
We lend material from our collections under the terms of The Australian Interlibrary Resource Sharing (ILRS) Code. We supply loans and copies of material in accordance with the Copyright Act (1968) and its amendments.
We offer 8 week loans, with no renewals.
Material generally not available for loan includes:
- whole journal issues
- special collections
- recently published books
- electronic resources
- reference material
- reading list material
- audio-visual items
Please email our interlibrary loan staff if you have any further queries.
New Zealand libraries
Loans or copy requests up to 50 pages are A$15.00 (per item, GST exempt) including postage.
- Loans are A$45.00 (or 4 IFLA vouchers).
- Copy requests up to 50 pages are A$25.00 (per item) or 1 IFLA voucher per 15 pages.
Request access to a Deakin thesis
Many Deakin theses can be downloaded from Deakin’s institutional repository, DRO.
You can request access to a thesis that is not available for download, provided it is required for research or study purposes, by contacting the Interlibrary loan team.
New copies of theses can be provided as a PDF, CD-ROM or unbound photocopy. If you wish to add the copy to your Library collection, you must also seek permission from the copyright owner (author).
To request a copy of a thesis, you will need to:
Any thesis that has been embargoed due to sensitive or confidential material cannot be supplied.