+61 3 5247 9268
Improving campus access
The campus entrance upgrades will involve:
- Installation of traffic signals at both intersections on Pigdons Road, at Alfred Deakin Drive (Entrance 1) and Nicol Drive North (Entrance 2)
- Traffic island delineation
- Service relocations and kerb widening
- New shared pathway connections
- Improved bicycle lanes along Pigdons Road and the internal connections
- Creation of a left turn lane for exiting via Entrance 2
- Essential remedial works to Boyd Waters (the lake), Lake Drive and the internal roundabout near Entrance 1.
The entrance upgrades are part of a wider campus access and traffic management plan to support the growing number of students, staff and visitors accessing the Waurn Ponds Campus, both in the short and long-term.
Deakin is working closely with VicRoads and the City of Greater Geelong on the design and construction program, to ensure the upgrade considers the current and future traffic forecasts for the campus, neighbours and other Pigdons Road users.
The construction program will be in three stages, to ensure there is always at least one entry point open.
Stage 1: Saturday 24 November to Saturday 8 December 2018 – completed
- This involved minor enabling civil works around Entrance 2, including the creation of a left turn lane. More works to this entrance will be undertaken in Stage 3 as outlined below.
Stage 2: Sunday 9 December 2018 to Sunday 10 February 2019 - completed
- Civil and remediation works have been undertaken along Alfred Deakin Drive, Lake Drive, the lake and the roundabout.
- This stage included the installation of traffic lights at Entrance 1, which will soon be operational.
- Entrance 1 has reopened and the new traffic lights will be operational shortly.
Stage 3: April 2019
This stage will include:
- Widening of Pigdons Rd to meet compliance with guidelines associated with the future installation of Entrance 2 traffic lights.
- Construction of a new traffic island on Pigdons Rd north of Entrance 2, which in conjunction with a lengthened right turning lane, will improve the flow of traffic in and out of Entrance 2.
- Conduct preliminary underground works in preparation for new traffic lights.
- Continue the improvement of our roads through carrying out the next stage of sub-grade works in preparation for the final seal and line marking taking place across both entrances.
Potential construction impacts
During construction, there will be changed traffic conditions along Pigdons Road, Lake Drive, Alfred Deakin Drive (Entrance 1) and Nicol Drive North (Entrance 2).
Traffic management personnel will be in place during construction, and works will be planned to minimise disruption during peak times of campus entry and exit.
Please allow additional travel time for campus entry and exit, and any detours in place, during the construction period.