Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for the Digital Child
The Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for the Digital Child is a world first research centre dedicated to creating positive digital childhoods for all Australian children. Deakin University is the only Victorian university selected to take part in the Centre which is headquartered at the Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
Digital technology is having an impact on all aspects of children’s lives including their education. At present there is very little evidence about the amount of screen time that results in positive outcomes for children and the amount that creates risks or harm. Parents and teachers have been left facing conflicting advice about how to ensure that children can benefit from their engagement with technology. The Centre is working to deliver and disseminate evidence-based research that will help parents and teachers better understand the enormous potential of digital technology and how they can keep Australian children healthy, educated and connected.
The Centre’s research intersects across fields of health, education and technology to offer a holistic view of young children and their digital experiences. The heart of the Centre’s research program is its Longitudinal Family Study – a seven-year study of 3000 Australian families, focusing on children from birth to eight years of age. The study is designed to provide the big picture – to identify potential problems and unmet possibilities associated with digital technologies in early childhood.
More research projects
- Cultural Change in Early Childhood Education and Practice
- Digital Literacy and Digital Citizenship Pilot Program
- Environmental Scan and Literature Review of Assessment in Intercultural Capability
- New Colombo Plan: Australian students' learning in and engagement with Asia
- Cultural Perspectives, Credentialism and Graduate Employability in the Field of Accounting
- Improving Regional Low SES Students Learning and Wellbeing
- Transition: A Positive Start to School
- Secondary STEM Catalysts: Professional Learning Program
- Needs of and Gaps Encountered by Employers in the Northern Mountainous Region of Vietnam
- International students in secondary schools: a study of transnational connectedness