Is completing a Rural Clinical Placement putting you under financial pressure?
The Faculty of Health Rural Clinical Support Grant can help you by easing financial stress and allowing you to have hands-on relevant work experience in a rural location.
The scheme is made possible due to funding provided by the Federal Government and will only be offered to students while grant funds remain available.
To meet eligibility criteria you must be
- a current Deakin student enrolled in a Rural Clinical Placement unit in either:
- an undergraduate bachelor’s degree in a Commonwealth supported place (CSP) or
- a postgraduate degree (CSP or full fee paying place)
- an Australian citizen or holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- on a placement of no less than two weeks (consecutive days) in a rural or regional area with an RA2 to RA5 rating (you can confirm this at the Department of Health's Health Workforce Locator website - please use the 2016 Australian Statistical Geographic Remoteness Areas filter).
The following conditions apply to this funding
- Students are not eligible for grant funding where the rural placement takes place within 50km of their home address
- Students may apply for funding only once they are enrolled and their rural placement has been confirmed
- Where Deakin-owned residences are available, in lieu of receiving the allocated accommodation payments, students will be encouraged to access these residences and have the rent fees waived for the duration of their placement
- Pro-rata payments will be made for placements which are not consecutive days (but the placement total is 10 days or more)
Please note: Applications will be assessed on a case by case basis. The grant is not available to students enrolled in the H911 Doctor of Medicine course.
Applications for 2019 placements undertaken in semester 2 and trimesters 2 and 3 are closing on 13 December 2019.
Applications for trimester/semester 1 2020 are now open - note that placements must be confirmed prior to applying.
Please answer the following questions to apply for the Rural Clinical Support Grant.
Your application will be assessed and you will be advised of the outcome via email.
Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).
Deakin University is collecting your personal information on this form for the primary purpose of determining your eligibility to receive a Rural Clinical Support Grant. It will also use this information to help plan for grants of this nature that may be developed in future years. For these purposes Deakin may also provide cohort-level summaries of this information to the Commonwealth Department of Health, in de-identified summary formats, as part of our annual reporting requirements.
You are not required to provide the information requested, however if the information is not provided, Deakin may not be able to determine your eligibility to receive a Rural Clinical Support Grant.
Information on privacy at Deakin is available at deakin.edu.au/footer/privacy. Questions about privacy may be directed to the Privacy Officer on (03) 5227 8524 or by email to email@example.com.