Is completing a placement in a rural or regional area putting you under financial pressure? The Faculty of Health Rural Clinical Support Scheme can help you by easing financial stress and allowing you to have hands-on relevant work experience in a rural location.
Due to the uncertainty caused by COVID-19, successful applicants will now receive their funding approximately 2 weeks prior to their placement start date. Applications will continue to be assessed in our standard timeframe of 1-2 weeks.
This application form is for Nursing and Allied Health students who are completing a rural or regional placement. If you are a Medicine student, please use the Rural Clinical Support Scheme (Medicine) application.
The scheme is made possible due to funding provided by the Federal Government and will only be offered to students while grant funds remain available.
To meet eligibility criteria you must be
- a current Deakin student enrolled in a Rural Clinical Placement unit in either:
- an undergraduate bachelor’s degree in a Commonwealth supported place (CSP) or
- a postgraduate degree (CSP or full fee paying place)
- an Australian citizen or holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- on a placement of no less than two weeks (consecutive days) in a rural or regional area with an RA2 to RA5 rating (you can confirm this at the Department of Health's Health Workforce Locator website - please use the 2016 Australian Statistical Geographic Remoteness Areas filter).
The following conditions apply to this funding
- Students are not eligible for grant funding where the rural placement takes place within 50km of their home address
- Students may apply for funding only once they are enrolled and their rural placement has been confirmed. Applications will no longer be accepted from 28 days after the placement start date.
- Where Deakin-owned residences are available, in lieu of receiving the allocated accommodation payments, students will be encouraged to access these residences and have the rent fees waived for the duration of their placement
- Students must return their funding if for any reason they do not complete the placement unit
Please note: Applications will be assessed on a case by case basis.
Application dates for Trimesters/Semester are as per below table. Please note that placements must be confirmed prior to applying.
|Study period||Application dates|
|Trimester/Semester 1 2021||Applications are currently open and will close on 31 July 2021.|
|Trimester/Semester 2 2021||Applications are currently open. The closing date is to be confirmed.|
|Trimester 3 2021||Applications will open on 1 November 2021. The closing date is to be confirmed.|
Please answer the following questions to apply for the Rural Clinical Support Scheme.
Your application will be assessed and you will be advised of the outcome via email.
Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).
Deakin University is collecting your personal information on this form for the primary purpose of determining your eligibility to receive the Rural Clinical Support Scheme. It will also use this information to help plan for grants of this nature that may be developed in future years. For these purposes Deakin may also provide cohort-level summaries of this information to the Commonwealth Department of Health, in de-identified summary formats, as part of our annual reporting requirements.
You are not required to provide the information requested, however if the information is not provided, Deakin may not be able to determine your eligibility to receive the Rural Clinical Support Scheme.
Information on privacy at Deakin is available at deakin.edu.au/footer/privacy. Questions about privacy may be directed to the Privacy Officer on (03) 5227 8524 or by email to email@example.com.