Bachelor of International Studies Internships

An international internship (AIS330-331) is a challenging and rewarding way to see the world, apply your intercultural skills, and satisfy your two credit point International Experience requirement.

When can I undertake an international internship?

International internships are typically completed in your late second or third year of study, once you have completed 16 credit points and AIS201 International Studies @ Work.

International internships are offered in either four- or eight-week versions across Trimesters 1, 2, and 3:

You must be enrolled in one of the following courses to complete AIS330 or AIS331.

  • A326 Bachelor of International Studies
  • D338 Bachelor of International Studies/Bachelor of Commerce
  • D323 Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of International Studies.

What does an international internship look like?

There is no such thing as a typical international internship: the whole idea is that your placement reflects and aligns with your personal, academic, and professional interests.

Suitable placement locations include (but are not limited to):

  • Non-government organisations
  • Government bodies and agencies
  • Consulates
  • Private companies working across cultural boundaries.

To be approved for academic credit, your internship must meet the following criteria:

  • Demonstrable relevance to the Bachelor of International Studies, with a clear international orientation
  • A new, unfamiliar professional environment (i.e. not in an area of current employment or professional activity)
  • A supervisor at the host organisation with a background in your discipline willing to provide mentoring and support
  • Opportunities to learn new skills and gain experience in a professional setting
  • A safe location where there are no substantive concerns about your personal safety (i.e. not on DFAT's 'Do not travel/reconsider your need to travel' list)

How do I arrange an international internship?

There are two types of international internships: pre-arranged internships and self-arranged internships.

Pre-arranged internships

Self-arranged internships

In this option, a Deakin-approved third-party internship provider helps arrange your placement with a host organisation. Internship providers include (but are not limited to):

Please note that an application and/or program fee may apply. All placements sourced through third-party providers are subject to Unit Chair approval.

In order to meet visa, host organisation and Deakin University risk management requirements we recommend commencing your application at least three months prior to your proposed internship dates.

In this option, you are responsible for finding and securing your own internship opportunity.

A sample of suitable placement locations are listed above.

If you have any questions or concerns about potential organisations and whether your potential organisation is suitable for an international internship, you must contact the Unit Chair via

In order to meet visa, host organisation and Deakin University risk management requirements we recommend commence your research at least six months prior to your proposed internship dates.

How do I register and enrol?

There is a simple three step process to register and enrol in an internship unit. Please click the link below to see the details of each step:

What if my placement is assessed as not suitable for AIS330/331?

If you have sourced a pre-arranged or self-arranged placement and it is assessed by the Unit Chair as not suitable for the Bachelor of International Studies Internship units, AIS330/331, there may be alternative internship units available.

These units include APE201 Individual Professional Project and APE301 Professional Practice Internship. In most cases credit towards your international experience requirement will be available. The Work Integrated Learning team are available to assist you with unit options.

Can I apply for any financial assistance?

Yes. You can find information about funding your WIL experience at the following link:

Funding your WIL experience

Who can I contact?

Enquiries regarding your internship placement options, approval, academic supervisor while on placement, please contact:

Enquiries regarding course advice, enrolment, travel registration and insurance please contact the Arts and Education Work Integrated Learning Office:

Last updated:
Page custodian: Faculty of Arts & Education