Self sourced internship
Every WIL unit allows you to find your own internship, so you can align your work experience to your chosen career path and have it counted towards your degree.
Key features and requirements of a self-sourced placement
- Placements should working from home until further notice. No on-site placements will be approved in the state of Victoria without a COVID Safe Plan, or other regions with similar government restrictions in place.
- Host organisations should have at least five employees.
- Placements can be paid or unpaid. Deakin insurance will comprehensively cover students on approved unpaid placements.
- Placements can be taken anywhere in Australia or internationally.
- Placements should be with a new organisation. If you are currently employed, please see ‘Work Based Learning’ or discuss your working arrangements with the WIL team.
- You must submit an online application through our online application system, InPlace, have it approved and be enrolled all prior to beginning your first day of the placement.
- Starting and end dates can be flexible. You will be enrolled in the Trimester where the majority of your internship takes place.
- Retrospective applications (including applications for Recognition for Prior Learning) are strictly not accepted.
Specific requirements for self-sourced approved units
|Unit||Time requirement||Other requirements|
|Cultural Engagement||80-160 hours||Can be general duties|
|Industry Based Learning||3 months full time||Must be discipline-specific|
|Internship||80-160 hours||Can be either general duties or discipline-specific|
How to apply
Click the Apply now button and follow the step by step instructions. Applications must be submitted at least 10 University working days prior to commencing any placement.
- T1 2021 – 17 March
- T2 2021 – 1 August
- T3 2021 – TBC
The University and Faculty help find placements for all students. All roles we source are advertised through Deakin TALENT’s UniHub - Jobs and Internships board.
Please visit UniHub to search for many pre-approved and suitable roles.