Research or academic dietitian

Do you want to contribute to the knowledge and evidence dietitians use in practice?

What do research and academic dietitians do?

Dietitians work as part of research teams investigating nutrition and health issues to further knowledge in these areas. The research generated by research dietitians is used to inform dietetic practice and forms the basis of evidence-based practice guidelines, position statements and government policies.

An academic dietitian works in the university setting and is usually involved in both research and the education of student dietitians and other health professionals regarding nutrition and dietetics.

Where are the jobs?


Research organisations, e.g. CSIRO

Industry e.g. Nestle

Health services and non-government organisations, e.g. public hospitals or Cancer Council Victoria

Job titles to search

Professor or Associate Professor

Lecturer or Senior Lecturer

Research Fellow or Senior Research Fellow

Postdoctoral Researcher or Postdoctoral Fellow

Research Dietitian or Research Nutritionist

Skills required for the job 

Research and academic dietitians have skills in research design, data analysis and interpretation, scientific writing in order to conduct research. Academic dietitians will also have skills in teaching and supervision of higher degree research students.

The skills you should aim to develop include:

Working effectively in teams and collaborating

Strong communication skills for oral presentations (e.g. conferences or teaching) and writing (scientific publications and research grants)

Good time management and project management ability

Attention to detail

How to develop your skills

To give yourself the best opportunity to be job ready at the end of your degree, we recommend that you:

Volunteer at a research organisation as this will give you an opportunity to be exposed to the type of research you could be involved in

Find a mentor

If you are seeking casual work during your degree, consider working as a research assistant to gain exposure to the research environment

Join professional organisations, many offer a student rate for membership

Attend Professional organisation events or seminars and set yourself a goal to meet two new people every time you attend

What units or courses to study at Deakin

Dietetic graduates wanting to further their qualifications can elect to do an honours degree or complete H541 Graduate Certificate of Health Research Practice. This can lead onto a Masters by Research or PhD.

In order to become a research or academic dietitian it is usual to complete a research degree such as a Masters by Research or PhD.


Graduate profile video (2-3 minutes)

Last updated:
Page custodian: Faculty of Health