Interested in coordinating community sport, recreation and physical activity programs at a local or state level?

What do recreation officers do?

Recreation officers develop, support and coordinate sport, recreation and physical activity programs and services for the benefit of the community. They provide leadership in the planning, developing, coordinating and implementation of comprehensive policy, systems, and environmental change and physical activity strategies to prevent obesity and chronic diseases. They provide leadership in the design and implementation of evidence-based physical activity programs for groups in the community.

Where are the jobs?

Community settings (e.g., recreation services)

Sport organisations (e.g., Tennis Australia)

Non-government organisations or not for profit organisations (e.g. YMCA)

Local (e.g., local councils), state (e.g. VicHealth), and national government (e.g. Department of Health)

Job titles to search

Sports/active living recreation officer

Leisure and recreation officer/coordinator

Recreational activities officer

Skills required for the job 

Skills you should aim to develop include:

Teamwork, partnership & collaboration skills

Communication (e.g. people skills, relationship building)

Project management skills (e.g. organisation, time management, problem solving)

Influencing, negotiating and advocacy skills

Keen to improve the lives of others through health and physical activity

How to develop your skills

To give yourself the best opportunity to be job ready at the end of your degree, we recommend that you:

Volunteer at the local government level or in a non-for profit organisation

Find a mentor (this could be someone working in a similar position, or an academic with knowledge of the field)

Acquaint yourself with current organisations employing recreation officers and follow them on Facebook or Twitter

When you meet new people tell them (confidently and succinctly) what you want to do when you graduate. You never know but they may have a contact that they can introduce you to now or sometime in the future.

What units or courses to study at Deakin

Students can enrol in the Bachelor of Exercise Science or a Bachelor of Health Science to complete the physical activity and health major:

HSE111 – Physical Activity and Exercise for Health

HSE112 – Pathways in the Physical Activity, Exercise and Health Industry

HSE212 – Physical Activity Promotion and Evaluation

HSE213 – Children’s Physical Activity and Sport

HSE316 – Physical Activity and Population Health

HSE332 – Global Perspectives in Physical Activity and Health

Last updated:
Page custodian: Faculty of Health