School Practicum and Placements
2020 Work Experience Opportunity in the Food/Nutrition Industry HSN311 - Food and Nutrition Practicum Unit
The School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences provides a placement-based unit: HSN311 Food and Nutrition practicum, designed to aid students in gaining experience and training towards careers in the food and nutrition industries.
The unit is available as a Trimester 2 Unit each year, to undergraduate students studying H315 Bachelor of Food and Nutrition Sciences or Bachelor of Nutrition Sciences and H300 Bachelor of Health Sciences (with a major in Nutrition and/or Food Studies) and D333 Bachelor of Exercise Sport Science/Bachelor of Nutrition Science.
This unit is currently limited to 40 placements based within government, community and non-government organisations as well as research and food industry sites.
Applications are now opened and will be closed on 20 September 2019. Successful applicants will be notified by 15 November 2019 via email.
2020 re-enrolment period will open in September and we strongly recommend students to enrol into their core and/or other elective units for 2020 by the re-enrolment due date.This means you are not required to wait for the outcome of your HSN311 application in order to submit your other 2020 enrolment.
Given the need to review all applications equitably, we will not be able to advise students of their applications’ outcome before 15 November 2019.
If you have any questions regarding the unit, please contact the Unit Chair, Ms Jennifer McCann at email@example.com
Why consider this unit
This unit provides the opportunity for relevant industry training towards a career in either the food or nutrition industries. In the past, students have gained valuable experience and skills from this unit to allow them to consider their career path and a number of students have also gained employment within the food and nutrition industries.
The prerequisites of this unit include:
1) At the time of submitting an application, students must have completed a minimum of 4 HSNxxx coded units in their course, of which at least two must be at level 2.
2) Students must have the capacity within their course rules to undertake this elective unit in Trimester 2 2020. Although placement hours may sometimes be undertaken outside of the Trimester 2 dates, all students will be enrolled in Trimester 2 2020. If you are unsure whether this unit will fit into your course plan/rules, please consult your Student Advisers before applying.
Student Advisers can be contacted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org , call 03 9251 7777 or meet in person at Student Central.
1) Students who are interested to apply into HSN311 must complete an application form in the InPlace system by 20 September 2019. Please click on this weblink to get information on how to submit your application via InPlace: Instructions On How to Submit a HSN311 Application InPlace System
2) Part of the application process also involves answering pre-enrolment questions as well as submitting a 3 minute video that aims to demonstrate:
a. What type of placement you are wanting to undertake and why. (This may include food industry, not for profit, private consulting, research or government based placements).
b. What knowledge and skills do you think you can bring to the type of placement you would like to undertake.
c. What knowledge and skills would you like to further develop during your placement.
3)Successful applicants will be notified by 15 November 2019 via email with Instructions on how to enrol into the unit, and they must enrol into the unit by 2 December 2019 or they will lose their place. Please note that there is only 40 places available in this unit.
4) Students who are enrolled into HSN311 will also be required to submit a valid Working with Children's Check (WCC) when they accept their offer. The WCC needs to be valid until at least the end of Trimester 2 2020.
a) When 2020 re-enrolment period is open, we strongly recommend students to enrol into their core and/or other elective units for 2020 by the re-enrolment due date. You are not required to wait for the outcome of your HSN311 application in order to submit your other 2020 enrolment.
b) Given the need to review all applications equitably, we will not be able to advise students of their applications’ outcome before 15 November 2019.
c) While most placement opportunities will take place between March and October, there may be placement opportunities which occur earlier, To ensure you are considered for these opportunities, you must COMPLETE your application in InPlace first by 20 September 2019. If you have not applied through InPlace for HSN311, you CANNOT be considered for this placement opportunity.