Need Help?

Whether it be help with study skills, medical services, disability or mental support, you can access it here!

Academic skills resources

What can be found at this link:

  • Information on APA referencing for essays and assignments;
  • How to write a critical, reflective essay;
  • Study supports and orientation for new students;
  • Speak with a language and learning advisor for help with research and writing assignments;
  • Help with English language and communication skills.

Student Central Hubs

What can be found at this link:

  • Organise to meet with a student mentor - a second or third year student from their course who can help with 'insider' tips and hints on studying and life at Deakin;
  • Orientation for new Faculty of Health students;
  • Help with applying for special consideration on assessment and extensions;
  • Meet with a student advisor at any campus.

Library Support

What can be found at this link:

  • Digital literacy tutorials - how to find all that you can about a particular topic, including accessing online journal articles;
  • Access to assistive technology.

Support for students with a disability, mental illness or health condition

List of what can be found at this link:

  • Arrangements for adjustments including additional writing time and rest breaks during exams, extensions for assignments and special consideration;
  • Assistance communicating your needs to academic staff;
  • Provision of study materials in accessible formats;
  • Access to academic support workers including notetakers and interpreters;
  • Longer library loan periods;
  • Access to assistive technology to help you study;
  • Support during practical assessments and placements.

Health, Safety and Wellbeing

Services to help students stay healthy - physically, mentally and spiritually. They include:

  • Counselling;
  • Medical Centres: doctors, counsellors and nurses can provide certificates for extensions and general medical guidance for students experiencing study difficulties on account of their health conditions;
  • Multifaith chaplains;
  • Emergency and crisis information;
  • Child care and parents rooms.

Support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students

What is the Institute of Koorie Education (IKE)?

  • IKE promotes access and equity for indigenous students;
  • Develops customised, appropriate teaching styles and timetabling arrangements, which can then be negotiated with Faculty Academic staff;
  • Provide tutorial assistance, support using computer technology, induction services and responding to the needs or problems of students as they arise.

Making a complaint

Internal complaints procedure: A Harassment and Discrimination Contact Officer can help you clarify what's happening and decide how to respond to discrimination, sexual harassment or bullying.

External complaints procedure: Free confidential advice and mediation for complaints about discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation or bullying .

Page custodian: Faculty of Health
Last updated: