Application process

Step 1: Select a WIL unit

Some courses have a compulsory placement unit, or you may be able to complete a placement unit as an elective. If you are looking to enrol in an elective, you will need to decide which placement unit is right for you and visit a Student Advisor at Student Central to confirm you have space in your course.

Faculty of Health Work Integrated Learning Units available by course:

H343 Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science/H315 Bachelor of Nutrition Science (and associated combined degrees)
HSN227 Volunteering in Exercise and Nutrition Sciences

H344 Bachelor of Psychological Science/H345 Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) 
HPS328 Psychology at Work (Internship)

H300 Bachelor of Health Sciences
HSH324 Integrated Learning for Practice * 
HSN227 Volunteering in Exercise and Nutrition Sciences
HSH303 Health Practicum
HPS328 Psychology at Work (Internship)

*This unit requires you to work in multi-disciplinary teams on an imagined client project or you have the opportunity to complete this unit in a real-life scenario working on campus via the FreelancingHUB at Deakin.

H313 Bachelor of Public Health and Health Promotion (and associated combined degrees)
HSH303 Health Practicum

M703 MBA (Healthcare Management)
HME710 Health Management Practicum

H704 Master of Health Economics, H756 Master of Health and Human Services Management, H757 Master of Public Health, and H759 Master of Health Promotion
HSH755 Postgraduate Health Practicum

Once you have selected your chosen WIL unit, please follow the enrolment process as outlined in the Handbook.

For more information and opportunities specific to your course, you can also take a look at your School’s webpage on the Faculty of Health Current Students website.

Step 2: Complete your pre-placement requirements

Police Check

Some units require a police check before you can start placement. We utilise an online service called 'fit2work' to manage this process. Once enrolled in your selected WIL unit, you will receive an email from fit2work with police check application instructions. Please wait until you receive this email before applying for your police check to ensure that you pay the discounted student application fee of $21.90 + GST (subject to change). .

Existing police checks completed through fit2work or Victorian National Police Checks will be accepted if placement is being undertaken within the same calendar year.

International students

If you are an international student, you will need to provide a Police Check for Australia and your home country.

International students will receive application instructions via email from fit2work which will cover both an Australian and International Criminal History check. These checks are at a cost of $21.90 +GST (subject to change) for the Australian Criminal History Check and $129 + GST (subject to change) for the International Criminal History Check.

In regards to a police check from your home country, the following will be accepted as an alternative:

  1. A Police Check from your home country (including an English translation if required). The Police Check must have been issued within the last six months and via a Police organisation.
  2. A Police Check that was conducted as part of your visa application. The Police Check must have been issued within the last six months.

It is at the discretion of the partner organisation as to whether they choose to accept a student who has been convicted of a criminal offence. In the event that you are rejected by a workplace you will be advised and offered career and program counselling. Further placement options will be discussed if appropriate.

Working With Children Check Card (WWCC)

Please check whether a WWCC is compulsory for your WIL unit.

A WWCC (or state based equivalent) is a legal requirement if you will be working directly with children or families/vulnerable people whilst on placement in Australian states and territories.

Note: Both volunteer and employee WWCC Cards are available. An Employee Card allows you to engage in any paid or voluntary ‘child-related work’. A Volunteer Card (acceptable for student placements) is free but can only be used for voluntary child-related work.

  • You are required to list Deakin University as the organisation through which you will be undertaking child-related work. Please enter the below details:
    Organisation Name: Deakin University Faculty of Health WIL Team
    Postal Address: Building BCC, 221 Burwood Hwy, Burwood, VIC, 3125
    Phone: (03) 9244 5643
  • If you already have a WWCC for employment purposes you must add Deakin University as a volunteer organisation
  • You should take your WWCC Card to the first day of placement in case you are required to present it prior to commencing with the organisation.

If you experience a change in the status of your WWCC, you must immediately notify the in writing if your circumstances change in any of the following ways: 1. you are found guilty of a criminal offence (other than a minor traffic offence); or 2. you are charged or investigated for a criminal offence (other than a minor traffic offence) If you have a change to your personal, contact and organisation details, you are required to notify the Department of Justice and Regulation within 21 days via their website.

Questions? Contact the WIL team via email or phone  03 9244 5643.

Step 3: Source a placement

Once you have chosen your WIL unit, the next step is to secure your placement. For some units your placement will be allocated to you while others, you will be required to source your own.

Deakin allocated placements

HSH303 Health Practicum

The Faculty of Health WIL team liaise closely with local councils, community health centres, not-for-profit organisations, government departments, private companies and other community-based support organisations to source placement opportunities. Your interests, enrolled units and/or majors will be taken into consideration when allocating your placement. Information about this process will be provided once you enrol in the unit.

HSH324 Integrated Learning for Practice 

This unit requires you to work in multi-disciplinary teams on an imagined client project or you have the opportunity to complete this unit in a real-life scenario working on campus via the FreelancingHUB at Deakin.

HME710 Health Management Practicum

Please contact the Health WIL team to enrol into this unit and discuss details of your placement.

Self-sourced placements

You will need to identify and contact relevant organisations that may have opportunities available in your areas of interest. The placement needs to be approved by the Unit Chair, therefore it is important to plan early.

When contacting an organisation or applying for a work placement, it is vital you provide a professional resume and cover letter. We recommend utilising the resources and workshops offered by DeakinTALENT. It is also important to ensure your placement can meet the requirements of the unit, which can be found in the Handbook.

HSN227 Volunteering in Exercise and Nutrition Sciences
HPS328 Psychology at Work (Internship) - Please note this unit is not eligible for the FreelancingHUB

HSH755 Postgraduate Health Practicum

This unit provides you with the opportunity to undertake an authentic experience via the FreelancingHUB, to develop knowledge, generic skills and graduate attributes that enhance future employment.  There are a limited number of places available in this unit so it is important to apply early directly via the FreelancingHUB.

You can also self-source a placement via the below Deakin initiatives:

Interns @ DeakinFreelancing HUBSPARK Ideation InternshipInternational Opportunities

For more information, please contact the Faculty of Health Work Integrated Learning Team:

03 9244 5643

Last updated:
Page custodian: Faculty of Health