Welcome to DUPE-Power Engineering! First class Power Labs. DUPE-Power Engineering Labs provides access to the latest power systems trainers in renewable energy, power distribution and high voltage, for students, industry and the wider Deakin University community.
Whether you want to learn power engineering methods yourself, or need some additional expertise on your next project, we are here to help.
Spaces and open times
The lab is open from 8am – 5pm weekdays.
The laboratory consists of three laboratory spaces;
- Renewable Energy Lab – KE1.111
- Electrical Lab – KE1.121
- High Voltage Lab – KE1.122.01
Access the lab
To obtain access to the lab and its equipment – please refer to Commencing a Project
You must have completed the following prior to using the laboratories.
- Online Lab Safety Training Modules
- Local area induction session
- Equipment specific induction
- Project Safety Assessment
Using the lab
The laboratory contains a number of different pieces of equipment as outlined below. Please select one for further information equipment specifications.
Electrical Engineering Team
Senior Technical Officer - Electrical
03 5247 9450
0417 571 684
Technical Officer - Electrical
03 5247 9451
Multifunction device which can provide the following tasks:
- Mechanical load
- Prime mover.
- AC/DC Power supply.
- Wind turbine simulation
- Solar array simulation.
- Battery charger/discharger
Has the following outputs:
- Fixed three phase AC 240/415VAC 10A
- Variable three phase AC 0-240/415VAC 3A
- Fixed 240VDC 1A
- Variable 0-240VDC 5A
Provides PC based power, voltage and current measurement.
We have a large range of additional LabVolt modules available for circuit construction. Commonly used modules include the following:
- Resistive, capacitive and inductive loads.
- Current Transformers.
- Voltage Transformers.
- Motors, synchronous, induction, DC.
- IGBT and Thyristor modules.
- LC Filters
- Analogue PID modules
The following hardware is available for use in the electrical labs:
- Siemens PLC/HMI Trainer
- Rockwell Micrologix PLC Trainer
This device simulates an electricity grid. Its primary purpose is to train individuals on the configuration and operation of power protection relays.
The unit contains the following protection units:
- 5x ABB REF615 feeder protection modules
- 2x ABB RET630 transformer protection modules
View further information
Used for high voltage training and research this equipment is currently being commissioned.
Specifications are as follows:
- 5kVA continuous, 10kVA for 60 minutes.
- Maximum output voltage 140kV RMS single phase
- Maximum continuous output current 50mA RMS
- Transformer Impedance 4%
- Transformer Partial Discharge Level < 3pC @100kV
View further information