Change 100 Lives

Costs and funding opportunities

Deakin study abroad students atop a fjord cliff in Sweden

Costs of Studying Overseas

Planning your finances is an important part of preparing for your international experience.

You will need to pay for all living expenses, such as accommodation, travel and food. Living costs vary according to your destination so its important to prepare a budget. Be sure to check costs and inclusions for the program you are applying for in order to begin your budget.

Personal costs to consider include

visa application and processing fees passport application fees return airfare to your host country domestic travel within the host country accommodation  immunisations and medications text books 

Application Fees

Some international programs attract an application fee:
Study Abroad and Exchange - $110.00 Short Term Programs - $55.00 These fees are to be paid when your application is submitted in order for your application to proceed. Deakin will provide a full refund if your application is unsuccessful or you need to withdraw from a program due to circumstances beyond your control.

Tuition costs

Different programs have different tuition costs. Exchange and Faculty Led Study Tours are run by Deakin or with partner institutions so tuition costs are included in your regular semester fees to Deakin.

Short Term Programs may or may not be offered at Deakin partner universities and therefore tuition may or may not be included in the program fee charged to you. Short Term Programs that have tuition fees charged by the host institution are listed as "Study Abroad" within the Program search.

If your international experience is not for credit, such as Volunteering or Placements, you will not be required to pay tuition fees.

Packaged costs

Some Faculty Led Study Tour and Volunteer costs will be packaged to include flights, accomodation, excursions and some meals. Please refer to individual program brochures for details.

How will I afford to travel overseas?

There are lots of ways to fund your overseas experience with Deakin. Some programs may have one or more funding opportunities attached. Below is a description of a number of possible funding sources to help get you on an international program.

Travel Grants

A limited number of travel grants of between $500 - $1000 are available through Global Student Mobility to assist students on overseas programs. Check the program you are interested in for further details on any applicable travel grants.

Students who receive a Government scholarship will not receive additional Deakin travel grants but may apply for an OS Help loan.

OS-Help loans

The Commonwealth Government offers OS-HELP loans of up to $6,362 (2015 value) or $7,635 (2015 value) for Asian destinations, to students on a credit bearing overseas program. This loan is paid through Deakin directly to students to cover costs such as airfares, accommodation or program fees.
Students wishing to apply for the loans must meet the following criteria:

  • be an Australian citizen or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa
  • be a Commonwealth supported student (i.e.HECS student)
  • have completed at least 8 credit points (including credit transfer from another institution)
  • have at least 1 credit point to complete on their return to Deakin, excluding any unit being undertaken whilst overseas

Students can receive the two separate OS-HELP loans over the period of their degree, however the loans must be at least 6 months apart. Visit the Australian Government website for more information on conditions of the loans or find out how to apply for an OS Help loan on the Deakin website.

Australian Government Scholarships

Australian Government scholarships may be offered to students who go to selected universities for a trimester or year long exchange.  Destinations change from year to year and a limited number is available each year.

Only students who are Australian citizens or who hold Australian Permanent Resident status are eligible to receive a Government Scholarship. All eligible Exchange students applying to one of the universities with available scholarships are considered for a subsidy. The subsidies are allocated based on academic merit. Check the program you are interested in for further details on any applicable scholarships.

Country-specific or University-specific scholarships and grants

Some universities or countries offer scholarships and grants to visiting students. Check the program you are interested in for further details on any applicable scholarships.

DUPP WIL Support Bursuries

Deakin students who undertake Work Integrated Learning (WIL) programs such as Internships, Industry-Based Learning, Practicum Placement, Professional Practice, Law Clinic or Community Based Volunteering for credit toward their degree may be eligible for bursaries to support their experiences. Further information and application forms can be found on the DUPP WIL

Youth Allowance/Austudy

If you are eligible for Austudy or Youth Allowance, and are attending an Exchange program for a Trimester your payments will continue while you are overseas. Those who undertake a study abroad program for a trimester are not eligible for Centrelink payments to continue. if you are doing a Short Term program, so long as you have a full time study load for the year your payments will continue while you are overseas. Once you are accepted to the Exchange program, you should make an appointment with Centrelink to discuss your plans. Global Student Mobility, on request, provide you with a letter to present to Centrelink.

Please visit Centrelink for more information.

Working while overseas

It may be possible to work part-time while you are studying abroad. We strongly recommend that you don't rely on finding work to support yourself and instead consider income from part-time work as an extra bonus.

Many countries have strict limitations on work entitlements for visiting students. You may have to apply for a work visa and pay an application fee before you are allowed to work. Contact your host country's embassy or consulate for further information on work entitlements.

Page custodian: Deakin International
Last updated: