Reporting Sexual Harm

Report to Deakin

At Deakin, we provide a safe and respectful learning and working environment. If you, or someone you know has a concern, contact us, we're here to help.

Safer Community (Deakin)

Safer Community Service is the central point of contact for Deakin based support and sexual harm reporting. You can contact Safer Community during business hours (Monday to Friday, 9 am-5 pm) via:

Tel: 03 9244 3734
Emails to this address are ONLY read by the staff trained and responsible for responding to your report. Information sent to this email address is treated as confidential.

Outside of these hours please contact Deakin Security:
1800 062 579

Who will I talk to?

Safer Community is a Deakin University service for sexual harm reporting and support. You’ll talk to trained professionals, with experience in responding and providing support for sexual harm. Safer Community is not an emergency or crisis response service and will respond during business hours only.

What happens next?

Once a report is made to Safer Community via email or telephone, a trained staff member will be in contact with you usually within one business day.

A Safer Community staff member will explain what options are available to you, how they can help and what each option might look like. It’s up to you to decide which path is most appropriate for you. Sometimes we will need to take steps to ensure the safety of our community, but we will always discuss this with you first.

When you talk with a member of the Safer Community, you will be:

  • Be believed
  • Be helped to understand reporting and support options available to you. This includes services internal and external to the University.
  • Be helped to be in control of the processes and decisions.
  • Be supported in the way you want.
  • You privacy will be respected.

Safer Community will be able to provide you with the following support:

  • Be the ongoing contact point for you if you wish.
  • Assist you with a safety plan.
  • Facilitate, coordinate and refer you to the appropriate internal and external services.
  • If you wish, assist you with making a report to the police.
  • Implement protective measure.

Further disclosures

There may be circumstances where we need to disclose information to other members of the University or external agencies. However, we will always discuss this with you first and determine what and how much information should be provided to others.

When might we make further disclosures?

  • Where we believe you or a member of the University community is in danger.
  • When a minor (under 18 years of age) is involved.
  • To assist you in making safety plans.
  • To arrangement support for you, for example, special considerations or extension for an assessment. In most cases only very limited details are provided for this.
  • When the state or federal law requires us to do so.

Can I report anonymously?

You can report anonymously. However, this may restrict our ability to assess and follow up on the incident, as well as report back to you on the outcome. In this instance, providing us with a generic email for correspondence purposes might be helpful.

Under 18 years of age?

If you are under the age of 18 and report a sexual assault, Deakin University is legally obliged to make a report to the police. Please refer to our Child Safety Standards for further information.

Report outside Deakin

Unless you are under the age of 18, only you can make a decision about reporting a sexual harm to police. The below services can help you with safety concerns and talk to you about options such as counselling and accessing other services outside of Deakin.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Division of Student Life