At Deakin, we provide a safe and respectful learning and working environment. If you, or someone you know has a concern, contact us, we're here to help.

International students

Studying in another country affords you many new experiences.But, unfortunately, sometimes things can go wrong. In Australia you have a right to be safe, and live free of harassment, violence and harm. It is important to understand that your student visa won’t be affected if you become a victim of crime.

Sexual offence refers to any sexual behaviour that leads to a person feeling threatened or uncomfortable, unsafe of fearful. Sexual offences are against the law in Australia and the police will support you if you are a victim of a sexual offence. It is never your fault and often the person who commits sexual offences is known to the victim. People who experience sexual harm sometimes feel they are responsible or have been told something that makes them too scared to seek help.

  • If someone hurts you call Campus Security on 1800 062 579
  • In an emergency always call the police on 000
  • Safer Community is a Deakin service which can also keep you safe.

Do you need a translator?

Deakin can provide translators and interpreters. You can arrange these by contacting Counselling and Psychological services or Safer Community.

1800RESPECT and Centres Against Sexual Assault (CASA) also have translator and interpreter services to assist you.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

Deakin understands, supports and respects the cultural practices, attitudes and beliefs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.  We offer a wide variety of support services on campus, we have highly trained staff and assist with referrals to services in your community and service providers at Deakin.


When present in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer (LGBTIQ) relationships, sexual harm, domestic and family violence can create unique vulnerabilities and risks.

All Deakin support services and external Centres Against Sexual Assault (CASA), support members of the LGBITQ community.

Switchboard is a free telephone and web counselling, referral, response and information service for the Victorian and Tasmanian LGBTIQ communities and their supporters. 1800 184 527, 3 pm-12 am 7 days a week (Australia-wide).


Staff are encouraged to contact Safer Community if they have experienced sexual harm or are supporting somebody who has made a disclosure.

  • On campus: To organise debriefing, staff can contact Safer Community or the campus medical centres to make an appointment to speak to a CASA counsellor.
    The Employee Assistance Program also offers free and confidential counselling service for Deakin staff.
  • Off campus: Contact SACL on 1800 806 292 or 1800 RESPECT on 1800 737 732 for free, confidential support.
Last updated:
Page custodian: Division of Student Life