Getting Started at Deakin Outcomes
2019 Getting Started at Deakin survey highlights.
Deakin runs this survey every second year to better understand our student community.
4316 new students from all faculties and campuses participated in our survey
83% were satisfied with their experience so far
87% would recommend Deakin
80% of undergraduate students participated in orientation events. The majority found the events helpful.
Most students said they knew where to get help for:
- Library assistance
- Problems with enrolment
- Study skills advice and support
- IT assistance
But many said they would like to know where to get help for:
- Careers and employment advice
- Finance issues
- Personal counselling
Course offerings had the most impact on students' decision to study at Deakin.
But only 52% of undergraduate students could easily work out which units to enrol in.
Cloud students found the online enrolment application was easy to use (StudentConnect) but they told us that Deakin can do even better to help our students.
New Cloud Students at Deakin:
- 25% would have liked to attend an on campus enrolment day or session
- 28% had difficulties adjusting to online learning
- 78% did not seek the advice or assistance of peer mentors
We have begun taking action based on what you told us. We are:
- Enhancing peer mentoring opportunities
- Piloting a located on-campus orientation for Cloud students
- Unifying early orientation tools from point of offer to better prepare students for studying at Deakin, and we are still planning more.
One lucky student won a $500 cash prize for contributing to the survey!
Student surveys are an important way for Deakin to find out what our students want
They are your voice!
Source: Strategic Intelligence and Planning Unit.