References and Resources
Relevant Australian Standards
Australian Standards Online gives access to the complete collection of current Australian Standards, Draft Standards, and handbooks (excluding handbooks with joint copyright).
Instructions for accessing Deakin University Library Australian Standards Online are available on request. Please contact the Library for information.
- AS 2243 series: Safety in laboratories, Parts 1-10
- Part 1: Planning and Operational Aspects
- Part 2: Chemical aspects
- Part 3: Microbiology
- Part 4: Ionizing radiations
- Part 5: Non-ionizing radiations
- Part 6: Mechanical aspects
- Part 7: Electrical aspects
- Part 8: Fume Cupboards
- Part 9: Recirculating Fume Cupboards
- Part 10: Storage of Chemicals
- AS 2252.4 Controlled environments Part 4: Biological safety cabinets Classes I and II Installation and use (BS 5726:2005, MOD)
- AS 2252.1: Biological safety cabinets (Class I) for personal and environmental protection
- AS 2252.2: Biological safety cabinets (Class II) for personal, environments, and product protection
- AS 2567 Laminar flow cytotoxic drug safety cabinets
- AS 2639 Laminar flow cytotoxic drug safety cabinets - installation and use
- AS 1410 Sterilizers - Steam Pre-vacuum
- AS 2192 Sterilizers - Steam - Downward-displacement
- AS 4934 Packaging for surface transport of biological material that may cause disease in humans, animals, and plants
- AS 2982 Laboratory design and construction - general requirements
Biosafety references and resources
- Australian Government NHMRC: Australian Guidelines for the Prevention and Control of Infection in Healthcare (2010)
- CEN Workshop Agreement (CWA) 15793: Laboratory Biorisk Management Standard
- Deakin library's OHS page (contains links to online academic journals, ebooks, subject databases and websites available via the Library homepage): Occupational Health and Safety Subject Guide
- Information on the regulation and development of biotechnology and related products in Australia: BioRegs Online
- IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations
- Use the Chemwatch link on the Occupational Health and Safety Subject Guide to find Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- The video "Working safely in a Class II Biological Safety Cabinet" available in the Cloud Deakin Biosafety site.