Pre-arrival information

We are excited to welcome our international students back to campus. Here are the steps you need to take to study in Australia.

Pre-arrival information

On this page

Enrolling for 2023
Travel requirements for Australia
Booking flights to Australia 
Planning your accommodation
Arriving in Australia 
Orientation and connecting at Deakin
Where to get assistance

Enrolling for 2023

You course information, course map and requirements can be found in the 2023 University Handbook. If you need some help or advice to select your units, book a course advice appointment with a student adviser.

Commencing students

If you're studying with us for the first time, you'll receive an email with all the information you need about activating your account and enrolling into your units. After you've enrolled, visit our Get Started site to find out what's next!

Studying on campus

If you are enrolled as an on-campus student, you are required to enrol into a full-time study load and study on campus in Australia. International students on a student visa, are advised to return to on-campus studies from Trimester/Semester 1 2023.

The Department of Home Affairs requires students to submit a student visa application as soon as a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) is granted. You must follow the regular enrolment requirements applicable to student visa holders.

You should make sure your enrolment is correct before the study period begins. You can enrol in the units through StudentConnect.

Travel requirements for Australia

To understand your travel obligation, view the Entering Australia - what to expect at the border website.

Students who cannot travel to Australia – Trimester/Semester 1 2023

If you are unable to travel to Australia, you should notify the International Quality and Compliance team via email at You may need to provide supporting documents of compassionate or compelling circumstances, so we do not report the cancellation of your CoE to the Department of Home Affairs.

You can only continue your studies online while your student visa application is pending with the Department of Home Affairs or if there is a lockdown in your home country due to the COVID-19 pandemic or a crisis in your home country.

If your visa application is pending

If you are commencing in Trimester/Semester 1 2023 and your student visa application is pending, you can apply to intermit your study up until the census date:

  • if you do not wish to study from offshore; or
  • if you are worried that the period of study without holding a student visa may not be counted towards the Australian study requirements.

You will need to supply evidence of your student visa application lodgement for your fees to be transferred to your next study period.

If your visa application is refused

If you receive a visa refusal before or during your commencing study period, you have the options below.

  • Transfer to study your course online (if the course is available online). In this instance, your CoE will be cancelled.
  • Discontinue from your course on StudentConnect and apply for a refund prior to the census date. If you remain enrolled after the census date, you will not be eligible for a refund.

You will need to supply evidence of the refusal notice and decision record.

Visit the Withdrawal and refund dates for international students in their first study period webpage for the withdraw dates and refund amounts.

Please note: Under legislation, the University is not permitted to provide advice about migration or visas. However, the Department of Home Affairs, a Registered Migration Agent, or a Migration Lawyer are permitted to do so. You can search for a Registered Migration Agent on the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) website. Alternatively, you can contact Deakin Student Legal Service (DSLS) and book an appointment with their qualified lawyer and/or migration agent. Appointment requests are generally in high demand and subject to availability.

Booking flights to Australia

You may find that flights may be difficult to secure due to high demand. Consider undertaking your search for flights well in advance of your intended departure date. Continue to check the website prior to purchasing any flights.

Planning your accommodation

When planning your accommodation in Australia, we recommend you initially book your short-term accommodation or stay with someone you already know in Australia. This gives you the opportunity to personally inspect and secure long-term accommodation and make sure you are signing a lease/accommodation agreement with a legitimate provider. It is also important to know the distance of the accommodation from campus and the services and public transport available.

Arriving in Australia

Airport pickup

We can help you make arrangements to be picked up from Tullamarine or Avalon airports. This is a free service and you can register for it by completing our  Airport pickup online form.

Updating your personal details

According to your student visa requirements 8533, it is essential that you keep your home and postal address up to date in StudentConnect all the time. Your home address is your permanent home; the postal address is where you are during the Trimester.

Orientation and connecting at Deakin

Once you've completed all your arrival requirements, look into all these ways to start connecting back into the community.

student ambassador leading an on campus tour for international students

Where to get assistance

Student Central

  • Student Central is the starting point to assist you with the ability to prioritise the support you need.

Financial support

  • As per your student visa financial requirement, all international students must have enough money to pay for your travel, study costs, living expenses and your stay in Australia.
  • Financial advice and support is available through Study Melbourne, visit the employment and finances webpage for further information.
  • In emergency situations only, there is a range of financial assistance available – see the financial assistance webpage for more information. You can contact a financial assistance officer through Student Central.

Health and wellbeing support

Deakin offers a range of services to support your physical and mental health and wellbeing.

  • Deakin Medical Centre – initial consultations are free with your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
  • Counselling and Psychological Support (CAPS) – free and confidential support from qualified counsellors and social workers.
  • Disability support – if you have a disability, health or mental health condition that affects your study or participation in uni life, the Disability Resource Centre (DRC) can help with information and services.
  • Multifaith chaplains – offering compassionate support to everyone, whether you’re religious or not. We also have prayer rooms located on campus for your convenience.

Need help?

Our student advisers are here to help you with course advice, enrolment and general enquiries.