Graduation day is nearly here, and getting ready is simple. All you need to do is register, pay your fees and get ready to be a part of the next generation of Deakin graduates.
Registering for your graduation
In your final Trimester of study, you'll receive an invite to register for graduation via your Deakin email address. Once you've received your email, you can register for the next round of ceremonies via StudentConnect.
Note: Registering to graduate does not necessarily mean you will be eligible to graduate. Your faculty must assess you as eligible to graduate prior to the cut-off date for each round of ceremonies in order for you to graduate. For students studying cross-institutional units, the late receipt of results for these units may result in your graduation being deferred to a future round of ceremonies.
|Trimester of Completion||Invitations Sent||Registration||Graduation Dates|
Trimester 1 2022*
|Week of Monday, 27 June 2022|
Students to be deemed eligible by Friday, 12 August 2022
Doctoral students to be deemed eligible by Thursday, 15 September 2022
Registration closes Friday, 2 September 2022
18-20 October 2022
Trimester 2 2022*
|Week of Monday, 26 September 2022|
Students to be deemed eligible by Friday, 11 November 2022
Doctoral students to be deemed eligible by Friday, 11 November 2022
Registration closes Friday, 11 November 2022
|6-7 December 2022|
|Trimester 2 2022*||Week of Monday, 14 November 2022|
Students to be deemed eligible by Wednesday, 4 January 2023
Doctoral students to be deemed eligible by Thursday, 12 January 2023
Registration closes Thursday, 5 January 2023
|6-15 February 2023|
|Trimester 3 2022*||Week of Friday, 10 March 2023|
Students to be deemed eligible by Friday, 28 April 2023
Doctoral students to be deemed eligible by Thursday,18 May 2023
Registration closes Friday, 28 April 2023
|20-22 June 2023|
|Trimester 1 2023*||Week of Monday, 26 June 2023|
Students to be deemed eligible by Friday, 18 August 2023
Doctoral students to be deemed eligible by Thursday, 14 September 2023
Registration closes Friday, 18 August 2023
|3-6 October 2023|
* Please note that we are returning to in-person graduation ceremonies to be held at our Waterfront Campus in Costa Hall. Should advice be given by the State Government that restrictions are to be reintroduced regarding capacity limits in venues, in-person graduations ceremonies will be cancelled and all students will be graduated in absentia. Further advice regarding your graduation will be distributed via email once the University has had time to review all available options for students to celebrate this occasion.
Please note: Graduation dates listed above are subject to change. You should not book any flights or make other preparations until results are released and you have received confirmation of your eligibility to graduate.
How to register:
1. Go to StudentConnect.
2. Click on the 'Apply to graduate' link on the side menu and follow the prompts.
3. You can choose to attend, graduate in absentia or defer your graduation. If you choose to attend your ceremony, payment of the graduation fee should be made at the time of application. There is no charge to graduate in absentia.
4. Check that your postal address, telephone number/s and email address is current.
5. Use the 'View your application status' link on the StudentConnect side menu to check if your application was successful.
6. Your award eligibility will be confirmed on your 'View your application status'.
7. Contact Student Central if you need help with your registration.
8. Check you have registered for your USI (Unique Student Identifier) number. You won’t be able to graduate without this number.
9. You will receive a ceremony information email confirming your ceremony information four to six weeks prior to your graduation.
Unique Student Identifier (USI)
From 1 January 2023, all higher education students, including those who commenced prior to 2021 and International students studying in Australia, will also require a USI for graduation purposes and to receive their award. Failure to register for your USI, will result in removal from graduation until you have registered.
This is a requirement of the Australian Federal Government and further information regarding a USI can be found below.
* International students who are studying outside Australia (enrolled via Deakin Cloud at the course level) do not need a USI.
Your graduation fee includes everything you need for your ceremony: academic dress hire, a keepsake trencher you can take home after your ceremony, two guest tickets and light refreshments for you and your guests after the ceremony.
If you can't attend your ceremony
You can choose to graduate 'in absentia' in StudentConnect if you can't make it to your graduation.
Graduating 'in absentia' means graduating without attending the graduation ceremony. Your qualification is officially conferred by the University Chancellery in your absence and goes on public record. Your testamur is sent to you after the graduation.
There is no charge to graduate 'in absentia'.
As your testamur will be sent to you, it's very important that your address and phone details are up to date in StudentConnect.
Deferring your graduation
Deferring your graduation means that you wish to postpone your ceremony attendance to a later round of ceremonies. You won't graduate or receive your testamur until you graduate at a future ceremony.
To defer your graduation, simply select the 'defer' option in StudentConnect. You will then be sent a new invitation at the appropriate time for the next round of ceremonies.
You can choose to defer your graduation for a maximum of 12 months after your course completion date.
Four weeks notice from the date of the ceremony must be given to either cancel or defer your ceremony. If fewer than four weeks notice is given, your award will be conferred at your allocated ceremony and your testamur will be sent to your registered postal address following the ceremonies. Please allow up to six weeks for delivery.