Learning online has lots of benefits but there can be some challenges too. Here you will find tips and information around some of the behaviours you can apply and the tools that you can use to support you on your online learning journey.
Maintaining motivation and not feeling isolated are important in staying enthusiastic about your studies. Keep in touch with your lecturers and classmates and make the most of digital tools available to help stay connected.
Wes Howard, Language and Learning Adviser, Study Support
Some challenges you may encounter when learning online, include:
- Staying focused and motivated
- Feeling connected with others
- Using digital tools
- Finding help when needed.
This video has practical suggestions to overcome some of these challenges. The second part of the video highlights the Deakin supported tools that you can use to collaborate and connect with others during your studies, including Microsoft Teams, One Drive and Zoom.
Access to free tools at Deakin
- Browse Deakin’s software library and download Microsoft OneDrive and Microsoft Teams, the preferred collaboration tools at Deakin.
- Bookmark LinkedIn Learning and access the video tutorials covering the latest software, as you need it.
Remember, if you have a question about your Deakin password, Wi-Fi or printing you can Ask IT for Help.
More free tools
OneNote is another Microsoft productivity tool and is included in your MS OneDrive account. It is also integrated with MS Teams. Use OneNote to capture your class notes, record audio, create a sketch, add pictures, videos, and any other document. You can then organize everything into notebooks, sections, and pages.
Find out how to create notebooks and learn the features of OneNote with the Learning One Note tutorial from Linked in Learning.
Understanding what is expected of you when engaging with your unit discussion forums and online classrooms is important. Treat your online classes the way you would your face to face classes and always communicate professionally and respectfully. Follow the 3Cs of communication at Deakin when communicating in your unit discussion forums and online classes
- be curious to find out something new
- be constructive in your comments
- be compassionate to others in your unit by taking into consideration their perspective.
Find more tips and suggestions on online etiquette with the Guide to Communicating online.