FAQs for residents

Living in residence at a University is a once in a life time experience and one to remember as part of your whole-of University experience at Deakin. The following FAQ's will help you make the most of your time on residences

What support is provided?

Each campus has its own Residential Support Team. The team consists of: Residential Leaders (senior students) who provide direct support to their designated group of fellow residents, 24hr reception and security, and a dedicated full time Campus Life Coordinator and Campus Manager.

Staff are available to provide personal support, academic support and referrals to appropriate services as required. Residential staff along with student leaders also coordinate social, sport and cultural programs available at each location.

I am a new student - How do I access the Wi-Fi?

New students can activate their online Deakin account and receive their unique login details, after receiving their student number. Head to Usernames and Passwords for more information.

You can access the internet via WiFi or Ethernet cable.

Can I break my licence agreement/move off Res early?

If you're thinking of moving out prior to the end of your lease, we recommend you be sure of this action, as it is not in your interest to break your license agreement early. Should you wish to vacate your room prior to the expiration of your license agreement, you must advise the Residences office in writing. You will be fully liable to pay the associated fees until the end of your license agreement unless DRS is able to find a suitable replacement to move into your room at an earlier date. Please check your License Agreement for details.

I don't like my housemates. What can I do?

Getting along with everyone can sometimes be difficult in shared living environments. If you feel comfortable doing so you could discuss with your housemates about your issues or concerns and see if you can work things out amongst yourselves.

If you still have problems, or need further assistance in resolving the situation then you can talk to your Residential Leader and they may be able to provide help.

What if I have a disability?

All units at the Burwood Student Village have wheelchair accessible bathrooms on the lower level and six of the twenty units are fully accessible on the lower level with modified kitchens, laundries and bedrooms. A large number of wheelchair accessible rooms are also available within the modern apartment building.

Are there any social activities?

A wide variety of social activities are available at Burwood. These include sports competitions, arts and cultural events, formal dinners, movie nights, and much more! Please download the app to find upcoming events!

Is there a guest policy?

Guests are permitted, however you may only apply to have one guest at a time. All overnight guests must be registered by curfew on the day of their stay. Guests must produce their dated guest pass to security upon request. Failure to register a guest with the office will result in you being charged a fee. There are also limits on how many guests you may have in any given period of time, please refer to the Residences Handbook and Guest Policy for details.

What about security?

All campuses have Security staff on duty 24 hours per day and are contactable by dialling 222 from any internal phone, or on 1800 062 579. Security staff are able to accompany students to/from residences and other areas of the University after dark. Thorough patrols of the residences are performed after hours to ensure that only residents are on the premises.

Security Personnel are provided with a daily report from the Residences Office on all guests registered for that evening. Any visitor unable to produce a valid guest pass is immediately escorted from the premises.

What are the cleaning arrangements?

Cleaning staff service the communal areas of shared units regularly and also clean the en-suite and kitchenette of studio apartments once a week. You and your housemates (if applicable) are responsible for cleaning the bedroom(s). Necessary cleaning equipment for this can be obtained from Reception. Residents are also expected to wash and put away their own dishes after use.

If you are concerned about the operation of cleaning services, please let the team at Reception know.

What is the insurance coverage provided?

It is strongly recommended that each resident has their own contents insurance.

What transport is available?

Public Transport

Bus and tram services run daily from the Burwood campus. Please see “settling into Melbourne” for more details.


Limited car parking is available for residents. Parking permits must be purchased. Details will be included with your letter of offer.http://www.deakin.edu.au/students/your-campus/parking


Bikes are a great way to get around campus and around town. Bikes are not permitted inside common areas or bedrooms but there is a secure storage area available.

How do I move out of residence early?

If you are currently living on residence and wish to move out before the agreed upon end of your lease, then you will need to contact your Residences Reception to discuss your options.

Why isn't my unit clean?

If you live on-campus and you're concerned about cleaning, let the team know at Residences Reception. If your unit is just a bit messy, have a chat with your housemates about cleaning up.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Deakin Residential Services