FAQs for residents

Living in residence at a University is a once in a life time experience and one to remember as part of your whole-of University experience at Deakin. The following FAQ's will help you make the most of your time on residences

Can the licence agreement be broken early?

If you're wanting to move out prior to the end of your lease we recommend you are sure of this action as it is not in your interests to break your license agreement or lease early. Should you wish to vacate your room prior to the expiration of your license agreement or lease you must advise the Residences office in writing by completing a Notice to Vacate Form. You will be fully liable to pay the associated fees until the end of your license agreement or lease unless DRS is able to find a suitable replacement to move into your room at an earlier date. Please check your License Agreement or lease for details.

Can I change my room?

Only under special circumstances will room changes be approved. If a resident wishes to change rooms during the year they must apply in writing to the Campus Residence Manager. Room shifts are not automatically approved, although every effort will be made to accommodate a resident's request. Any resident who changes the room allocated under the License Agreement will incur an administration AND cleaning fee and they will be required to sign a new License Agreement.

How do I pay my rent?

Residence fees and charges can be paid by using one of the following payment methods:

  • BPay using the account details on your invoice
  • Via the Student Resident Portal
  • Debit or credit card by phone: +61 3 5227 1158
  • Debit or credit card in person at Residential Services Reception.

I don't like my housemates. What can I do?

Getting along with everyone can sometimes be difficult in shared living environments. We advise that you first discuss with your housemates and see if you can work things out amongst yourselves. If you still have problems, or need further assistance in resolving the situation then you can talk to your Residential Leader or Campus Life team in order to find a solution.

What support is provided?

Each campus has its own Residential Support Team. The team consists of: Residential Leaders (senior students) who provide direct support to a small number of fellow residents, 24hr reception and security, and a dedicated full time Campus Life Coordinator and Campus General Manager.

Staff are available to provide personal support, academic support and referrals to appropriate services as required. Residential staff along with student leaders also coordinate social, sport and cultural programs available at each location.

What if I have a disability?

There are a number of the buildings in residences that have been fitted with facilities to assist people with disabilities. Please contact the team at the Residences Reception to discuss your needs further.

Are there any social activities?

A wide variety of social activities are available at each campus. These include sports competitions (intra & inter campus), talent quests, formal dinners, movie nights, cultural events and much more!

Is there a guest policy?

Guests are permitted, however you may only apply to have one guest at a time for a maximum of three nights in a seven day period. All overnight guests must be registered by 6pm on the day of their stay via the Residential Portal. Failure to register a guest may result in you being charged a fee, issued a breach and your guest escorted off Residences. There are no overnight guests permitted on Residences during Orientation Week, SWOTVAC (study week) or the exam periods.

What about security?

Deakin University have Security staff on duty 24 hours per day and are contactable by dialling 222 from any internal phone. Additional security staff patrol Residences after hours and can accompany students to and from residences and other areas of the University after dark. Thorough patrols of the residences are performed after hours to ensure that only residents are on the premises.

Security Personnel are provided with a daily report from the Residences Office on all guests registered for that evening. Any visitor unable to produce a valid guest pass are immediately escorted from the premises.

What are the cleaning arrangements?

Cleaning staff service the communal areas of shared units and the NRAS buildings regularly. You are responsible for cleaning your own bedroom and if in a studio apartment your kitchenette and en-suite. For this purpose basic cleaning equipment is available at reception to borrow. Residents are also expected to wash and put away their own dishes after use.

If you are concerned about the operation of cleaning services, please let the team at Reception know.

What is the insurance coverage provided?

It is strongly recommended that each resident has their own contents insurance.

What transport is available?

Deakin's Campuses have a variety of accessible transport methods including walking, cycling, private car, public transport and the Deakin shuttle bus service in Geelong. For more information and timetable links please refer to the Getting to Deakin website.

Please note that limited car parking is available for residences and Deakin parking permits must be purchased if you intend on bringing your car.

Bicycles are a great way to get around campus and around town. Bikes are not permitted inside common areas or bedrooms but we have ample secure storage areas are available

What is my free download limit as a Deakin student?

eSolutions provides all enrolled students with a quota of 5GB of Internet data per trimester. If you reach your limit, you can still access the Internet, but at a reduced speed. eSolutions will provide a further increase of 5GB of data upon request to them.

I'm having trouble connecting to the Deakin Wi-Fi system. Who can I contact for assistance?

Depending on what the problem is, Residences Reception may be able to help. If however, you are having connectivity problem we suggest you contact eSolutions or take a look at there IT Help page.

Is the water from the tap safe to drink?

Tap water is safe to drink in almost all parts of Victoria. Melbourne's tap water is especially known for being some of the highest quality, cleanest and best tasting drinking water in the world.

Still have questions? Visit the Deakin Residential Services website for more detailed FAQs: https://accommodation.deakin.edu.au/faq

Last updated:
Page custodian: Deakin Residential Services