This is a doctoral Cotutelle project between Coventry University (UK) and Deakin University (Australia). The successful PhD Student will be awarded a scholarship from Coventry University with the supervision team being drawn from Deakin University and Coventry University. The PhD Student will graduate with two testamurs, one from Deakin University and one from Coventry University, each of which recognises that the program was carried out as part of a jointly supervised doctoral program. The program is for a duration of 3.5 years and scheduled to commence in January 2023. The PhD Student is anticipated to spend at least 12 months of the total period of the program at Deakin University, with the remainder of the program based at Coventry University.
Physical literacy is characterized as the integration of physical, psychological, social, and cognitive capabilities that help us live active, healthy, and fulfilling lifestyles. As physical literacy includes affective, social, and cognitive elements within these definitions, when holistically conceived, it provides a potentially powerful lens for examining movement in relation to physical activity and motor skill outcomes, and broader social, cognitive, and affective processes. This Phd programme will focus on the importance of physical literacy development for holistic development and enabling individuals to live physically active lives.
To make a change, physical literacy-based programs must be deliberately oriented to all of its core domains: movement competence, confidence, motivation, and knowledge and understanding. To have novel and challenging activities while creating opportunities for creativity and mastery, the complexity of these activities needs to be scaled. Therefore, the objectives of this PhD is to design a physical literacy intervention and to evaluate the effectiveness of this pilot intervention on each domain of physical literacy and, importantly, on physical literacy as a single (collective) construct and executive functions in an ecological viewpoint.
Applications close 5pm, Friday 30 September 2022
This scholarship is supported by Coventry University and is available over 3.5 years and includes:
- Stipend of £15,000 per annum
- Tuition Fee Waiver
- One return economy airfare to Deakin University to support residency period in Australia
- Student visa and health insurance costs for period of residency at Deakin University in Australia
To be eligible you must:
- be either a domestic or international candidate currently residing in the UK. Domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship.
- meet the PhD entry requirements of both Deakin University and Coventry university, including English language proficiency requirements
- enrolling full-time
- be able to physically locate to both Coventry University (UK) and Deakin University (Australia)
How to apply
Applicants should contact Prof Lisa Barnett
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Prof Lisa Barnett
Prof Lisa Barnett
Email Prof Lisa Barnett
+61 3 924 46177