Deakin Project Supervisor
Deakin School or Institute
Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus (Australia) and Coventry University (UK)
This is a doctoral Cotutelle project between Coventry University (United Kingdom) and Deakin University (Australia). The successful PhD Student will be awarded a scholarship from Coventry University with the supervision team being drawn from Coventry University and Deakin University. The PhD Student will graduate with two testamurs, one from Coventry University and one from Deakin University, each of which recognises that the program was carried out as part of a jointly supervised doctoral program. The program is for a duration of 3-3.5 years with the enrolment commencing in January 2023.
The project will examine the skeletal muscle epigenome in metabolic diseases. Alterations in the skeletal muscle epigenome contribute to impairments in muscle metabolism in metabolic diseases (Barres & Zierath, 2011; James et al., 2021). Under the supervision of Dr Mark Turner (Coventry University) and Professor Sean McGee (Deakin University), this project will investigate how epigenetic modifications, particularly histone acetylation, are implicated in the aetiology of metabolic disease, and how lifestyle factors can modulate these changes.
Using a range of molecular biology techniques to explore the epigenetic modifications in physiological and pathophysiological conditions, the project will seek to answer the following questions:
- What differences in epigenetic modifications are there between healthy individuals and patients with metabolic disease?
- How are epigenetic modifications effected by exogenous factors (e.g. nutritional status)?
- How do changes in epigenetic modifications influence factors released by skeletal muscle?
Applications close 5pm, Sunday 15 January 2023
This scholarship is supported by Coventry University and is available over 3.5 years and includes:
- Stipend of £15,000 per annum
- Tuition Fee Waiver
- Travel Support Package to support residency period in Australia
- Student visa and health insurance costs for period of residency at Deakin University in Australia
Deakin University will also provide a full tuition fee waiver for a duration of up to 4 years.
To be eligible you must:
- be either a domestic or international candidate. Domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship.
- meet the PhD entry requirements of both Deakin University and Coventry university, including English language proficiency requirements (IELTS overall minimum score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component)
- enrolling full-time
- a masters degree in a relevant subject area, with overall mark at minimum 80%
- be able to physically locate to both Coventry University (United Kingdom) and Deakin University (Australia)
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page and Coventry’s research entry criteria page for further information.
How to apply
Applicants should contact Prof Sean McGee
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Prof Sean McGee
Prof Sean McGee
Email Prof Sean McGee
+61 3 5227 2519