This is a doctoral Cotutelle project between Deakin University (Australia) and Coventry University (United Kingdom). The successful PhD Student will be awarded a scholarship from Deakin University with the supervision team being drawn from Deakin University and Coventry University. The PhD Student will graduate with two testamurs, one from Deakin University and one from Coventry University, each of which recognises that the program was carried out as part of a jointly supervised doctoral program. The program is for a duration 4 years with the project scheduled to commence in January 2023.
The PhD Student is anticipated to spend up to 12 months of the total period of the program at Coventry University, with the remainder of the program based at Deakin University. The project will examine the role of epigenome enzymes in skeletal muscle in metabolic diseases. Alterations in the skeletal muscle epigenome contribute to impairments in muscle metabolism in metabolic diseases (Barres & Zierath, 2011; James et al., 2021). Under the supervision of Professor Sean McGee (Deakin University) and Dr Mark Turner (Coventry University) and, this project will investigate how epigenome enzymes, particularly histone deacetlases, are implicated in the aetiology of metabolic disease, and how lifestyle factors can modulate these changes in these enzymes.
Using a range of molecular biology techniques to explore the epigenetic modifications in physiological and pathophysiological conditions, the project will seek to answer the following questions:
- Are there differences in histone deacetylase enzyme function between healthy individuals and patients with metabolic disease?
- How are histone deacetylases effected by exogenous factors?
- How do changes in histone deacetylases regulate skeletal muscle metabolism and mass?
Applications close 5pm, Sunday 15 January 2023
This scholarship is supported by Deakin University, is available over 3 years and includes:
- Stipend of $28,900 per annum tax exempt (2022 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate
- International students only: Si
ngle Overseas Student Health Cover policy for the duration of the student visa. Full Tuition fees offset for the duration of 4 years. Funding to support travel of PhD Student between Deakin University and Coventry University.
To be eligible you must:
- be either a domestic or international candidate. Domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship.
- meet the PhD entry requirements of both Deakin University and Coventry university, including English language proficiency requirements (IELTS overall minimum score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component).
- enrolling full-time
- be able to physically locate to both Coventry University (UK) and Deakin University (Australia)
How to apply
Applicants should contact Prof Sean McGee
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Prof Sean McGee