Any eligible academic supervisor from Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment. This project will be located in the same School and campus as the primary Supervisor.
Deakin University recognises that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people remain under-represented in Science, Technology, Engineering, Architecture and Maths (STEAM) – including our Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) and academic cohorts. Deakin is committed to diversity and inclusion, advancing the Reconciliation and Treaty movements and moving Indigenous Knowledges into the mainstream of Australian life. To help promote long term change, we are offering multiple Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander in STEAM PhD Scholarships.
These scholarships are available to prospective Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander who are seeking to study a HDR course within any discipline area across the Schools and/or Research Centres with the Faculty of Science, Engineering & Built Environment. To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person and be accepted as such by your community, and seeking to commence a HDR course within the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment in 2022.
Applicable study areas: The Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment operates across 4 campuses (Burwood - Melbourne, Geelong Waterfront, Geelong Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool) and 2 research stations (Queenscliff, VIC and Griffith, NSW). The Faculty consists of 4 schools, each with a multi-discipline mix of teaching and research offerings and a strong emphasis on research excellence that informs our teaching programs:
- Science: School of Life and Environmental Sciences (Biological Science, Biomedical Science, Biotechnology, Fisheries and Aquaculture, Forensic Science, Environmental Management and Sustainability, Marine Biology, Sustainable Regional Development, Wildlife and Conservation Biology, Zoology and Animal Science) including the Centre for Regional and Rural Futures (CeRRF) and the Centre for Integrative Ecology (CIE).
- Technology: School of Information Technology (Computer Science, Creative Technologies, Cyber Security, Data Science, Software Engineering, Virtual Reality, Mathematics) including the Centre for Cyber Security Research and Innovation (CSRI).
- Engineering: School of Engineering (Civil, Electrical and Renewable Energy, Engineering Management, Environmental Engineering, Mechanical, Mechatronics, and Mechanical Design);
- Architecture: School of Architecture and Built Environment (Architecture, Construction Management);
- Mathematics: modelling of any description in any of the above schools as appropriate for the project.
For Specific information about the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Scholarship schemes at Deakin email Professor Yin Paradies (Chair in Race Relations). For general information, and to identify potential supervisors in your area of interest email Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment
Applications will remain open until a candidate has been appointed.
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $45,000 per annum tax exempt
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate
To be eligible you must:
- be a domestic candidate currently residing in Australia and identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person and be accepted as such by your community
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
How to apply
Please apply using the expression of interest form after you have contacted and received a response from a potential Deakin Supervisor. If successful at the EOI stage the Faculty will then advise if you should submit a full application.