The adoption of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the Australian healthcare system is likely to face significant challenges. This is due to gaps in policy and regulation governing the adoption of AI in healthcare, poor digital infrastructure in health services to host AI applications, and possible reluctance on part of end-users to adopt AI in their routine work. These kinds of challenges are not unique to AI, nonetheless, because of AI unique characteristics, and potential to address core healthcare problems in a multi-pronged manner merits a study of its own.
The objective of this project is to identify the healthcare management related factors that support or resist the adoption of AI in the Australian healthcare system. The project sample will comprise of a multitude of health services of different sizes and locations of the Australian healthcare system. Participants will be decision makers or influencers in the health service such as executives, managers, and senior clinicians. The main research questions for this project are:
- Is there a role for AI in healthcare delivery in Australia/individual health service?
- How can AI be adopted in the Australian Healthcare System//individual health service?
- What factors support or discourage the adoption of AI in the individual health service?
Applications close 5pm, Wednesday 31 August 2022
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $28,900 per annum tax exempt (2022 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate
- International students only: Tuition fees offset
for the duration of 4 years. Single Overseas Student Health Cover policy for the duration of the student visa.
To be eligible you must:
- be either a domestic or international candidate. Domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship.
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
Additional desirable criteria include:
- Experience in the healthcare industry as a professional or manager
How to apply
Please apply using the expression of interest form