School & Institute
Melbourne Burwood Campus
The PhD candidate will work with Prof Ihsan Yilmaz to conduct research on populism, religion, politics and social media in Indonesia.
This PhD project builds upon, and contributes to, an established research agenda about religion, politics, populism, cyberspace, digital technologies, streaming, social media, and emotive political mobilisation in the Middle East and Indo-Pacific at the Alfred Deakin Institute, led by Professor Yilmaz. The PhD candidate is strongly encouraged to consider the relationships between offline and online environments.
The student will work towards completing a PhD thesis to investigate the main features of populism in Indonesia. Some of the suggested aims for the thesis project are listed below but the student is not limited to these suggestions:
- Map populist narratives in Indonesia and their relationship with religion and religious ideas.
- Interpret and contextualise how specific negative, positive and mixed emotions are used by populists in Indonesia.
- Investigate the rise of the populist leaders and their varied success.
Applications close 5pm, Sunday 31 July 2022
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $28,900 per annum tax exempt (2022 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate
- International students only: Tuition fees offset
for the duration of 4 years. Single Overseas Student Health Cover policy for the duration of the student visa.
To be eligible you must:
- be either a domestic or international candidate. Domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship.
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
Additional desirable criteria include:
- Fluent in Bhasa Indonesia.
How to apply
Please apply using the expression of interest form
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Prof Ihsan Yilmaz
Prof Ihsan Yilmaz
Email Prof Ihsan Yilmaz
+61 3 924 68542