Any eligible academic supervisor from Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment. Supervisory team must include one female academic
Deakin University recognises that women remain under-represented in Science, Technology, Engineering, Architecture and Maths (STEAM) – including our Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) and academic cohorts. Deakin is committed to Gender equity, diversity and inclusion, and is an active participant in the SAGE Athena SWAN program. To help promote long term change, we are offering multiple Women in STEAM PhD scholarships to support females who are seeking the opportunity to study a PhD and work on a research project supervised by at least one female academic.
These scholarships are available to prospective female domestic and (Australian and New Zealand Citizens and Australian permanent residents) and International offshore and onshore (currently in Australia) applicants to conduct a research project with an academic supervisory team in any discipline area across the Schools and Research Centres of the Faculty of Science, Engineering & Built Environment. Additional funds may be available to support fieldwork, conference or collaborative travel during candidature.
Applicable study areas: The Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment operates across 4 campuses (Burwood - Melbourne, Geelong Waterfront, Geelong Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool) and 2 research stations (Queenscliff, VIC and Griffith, NSW). The Faculty consists of 4 schools, each with a multi-discipline mix of teaching and research offerings and a strong emphasis on research excellence that informs our teaching programs:
- Science: School of Life and Environmental Sciences (Biological Science, Biomedical Science, Biotechnology, Fisheries and Aquaculture, Forensic Science, Environmental Management and Sustainability, Marine Biology, Sustainable Regional Development, Wildlife and Conservation Biology, Zoology and Animal Science) including the Centre for Regional and Rural Futures (CeRRF) and the Centre for Integrative Ecology (CIE).
- Technology: School of Information Technology (Computer Science, Creative Technologies, Cyber Security, Data Science, Software Engineering, Virtual Reality, Mathematics) including the Centre for Cyber Security Research and Innovation (CSRI).
- Engineering: School of Engineering (Civil, Electrical and Renewable Energy, Engineering Management, Environmental Engineering, Mechanical, Mechatronics, and Mechanical Design);
- Architecture: School of Architecture and Built Environment (Architecture, Construction Management);
- Mathematics: modelling of any description in any of the above schools as appropriate for the project.
Applications close 5pm, Tuesday 28 February 2023
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $33,500 per annum tax exempt (2023 rate)
- Relocation allowance of $500-1500 (for single to family) for students moving from interstate
- International students only: Tuition fees offset
for the duration of 4 years. Single Overseas Student Health Cover policy for the duration of the student visa.
To be eligible you must:
- be either a domestic or international candidate. Domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship.
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
- self-identify as women or as gender diverse or non-binary
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
How to apply
All applicants must complete and email an expression of interest (EOI) to SEBE prior to submitting a formal application. Please ensure you have contacted and received a response from a potential Deakin supervisor before submitting your EOI. The faculty will then advise whether or not you should proceed in applying for the scholarship scheme. All applicants must have an approved EOI and have submitted a full application on the online HDR Application Portal with all necessary documents by 28th February, 2023.
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Dr Lisa Dias
Dr Lisa Dias
Email Dr Lisa Dias
+61 3 92445972