- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
Spend a few minutes making adjustments to your working posture and set-up to avoid back
and neck pain as well as the risk of more serious conditions. Put it up on your office noticeboard.
Short 2 minute video on adjusting your posture and set-up at work and at home to
reduce discomfort and the risk of injury
A series of simple, low risk exercises that can be done in the office: put the poster up in
Comprehensive workstation assessment
More detailed advice about setting up your work station
Link to the Apple ergonomics website which provides detailed information on safety and
Link to office ergonomics guidelines from the University of Sydney
Space allocation standards for staff and other University activities
Manual handling is much more than lifting or lowering an object. It also includes restraining, pulling, carrying, holding, throwing and activities involving sustained (awkward) posture, repetitive actions and use of equipment or tools that have a vibration component. Manual handling also includes keyboard work. At Deakin the most common manual handling activity is keyboard work but there are a wide range of other manual handling activities that occur every day such as reloading the photocopier, carrying materials to lectures, sorting, lifting, using tools and handling files.
Managers and supervisors must identify all hazardous manual handling tasks and put into place appropriate control measures.
Supporting forms and worksheets:
- Manual handling register (73 KB)
- Hazardous manual handling identification worksheet (91 KB)
- WorkSafe manual handling worksheet (344 KB)
- Manual handling job analysis worksheet (71 KB)
- Manual handling risk control Prompt (126 KB)
- Manual handling risks and control measures (38 KB)
- Manual handling risk management worksheet (68 KB)
- Safe working method statement (38 KB)
- Manual handling training record (36 KB)
- WorkSafe Victoria: Manual handling risk assessment (344 KB)
Virtual Office is a risk management tool to help you identify hazards and control risks in an office environment.