Can I receive recognition of previous qualifications or experience?
We'll consider all university, TAFE and private tertiary education provider qualifications from Australia and around the world for RPL. We also consider any other previous study, work experience and relevant life experience.
RPL is particularly useful when applying for a postgraduate course. You may be able to gain recognition of having achieved an undergraduate qualification, especially if it was in a related field. Use the calculator below to explore what you may be able to gain credit for.
Types of recognition
- Specified recognition for a specific Deakin unit (when previous studies are comparable to that of the Deakin unit).
- Unspecified recognition for an elective unit within a Deakin course (when no comparable Deakin unit exists and where course rules state that unspecified recognition can be granted).
How is RPL assessed?
To receive recognition towards a component of your course, you should be able to demonstrate that you have achieved learning outcomes equivalent to the learning outcomes of that component. Learning outcomes may include skills or knowledge, or the application of skills or knowledge.
Your application will be assessed if your qualifications were completed within the last 10 years. For older qualifications, only submit an application if you can demonstrate your continual involvement in the subject area.
Other factors to keep in mind
- At least a third of your course needs to be completed at Deakin, or at least half for certificate courses.
- Deakin will provide credit for overseas qualifications when they're benchmarked against relevant Australian qualifications.
- International students must fulfill the requirements of their student visa, even if RPL is granted. Speak with an international student adviser to discuss how RPL may affect your visa.
- Centrelink benefits may be affected if your study load becomes part time. Speak to a student adviser about maintaining a full-time load.
- Check with your relevant professional association to see if receiving RPL may affect your recognition (and note that credit may not be available for courses that require accreditation).
- Note that even if you're eligible for RPL, you'll still need to meet the entry requirements for the course you're applying for.
Filling out the RPL online application is only necessary for domestic students.
International students can request a RPL assessment by indicating this on the international on-campus application for undergraduate and postgraduate study form.
How do I apply for recognition of prior learning?
Complete the online RPL application form.
Submit your RPL online application form at the same time as your course application.
You'll also need to provide:
- a certified copy of your academic transcript, with a key to results
- details of course structure and credit point weightings from your previous institution’s handbook or website
- a unit outline or syllabus including assessment requirements, credit point weighting of units and details of textbooks and references
- for informal learning RPL, a written case that shows a high enough level of skill and knowledge for a 'Pass' grade in the relevant units of your course, or continued involvement in the subject area.
If you're offered admission into a course at Deakin, your credit entitlement will be confirmed with your offer or as soon as possible afterwards.