SIT106 - Fundamental Concepts of Mathematics
2023 unit information
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Warrnambool, Waurn Ponds (Geelong)
Trimester 3: Cloud (online)
Students will on average spend 150 hours over the teaching period undertaking the teaching, learning and assessment activities for this unit.
|Scheduled learning activities - campus||
1 x 1 hour online class per week, 1 x 2 hour seminar per week.
|Scheduled learning activities - cloud (online)||
Online independent and collaborative learning including optional scheduled activities as detailed in the unit site.
The unit will consist of the following topics:
- the natural numbers, multiples, factors, prime numbers, divisibility tests, prime factorisation;
- rational and irrational numbers and their representations as fractions, decimals and percentages;
- the stages of a statistical investigation: posing the question, collecting the data, summarising, analysing and presenting the data; interpreting the results;
- techniques for carrying out statistical investigations;
- regular polygons; regular and homogeneous tessellations;
- an analysis of some of the work of MC Escher; creating Escher-type tessellations in the plane;
- the Platonic solids and their duals.
Unit Fee Information
Click on the fee link below which describes you: