SIT106 - Fundamental Concepts of Mathematics
2024 unit information
Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Warrnambool, Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Online
|Incompatible with:||SCM103, SIT197, SIT198|
Students will on average spend 150 hours over the teaching period undertaking the teaching, learning and assessment activities for this unit.
This will include educator guided online learning activities within the unit site.
|Scheduled learning activities - campus||
1 x 3 hour seminar per week.
|Scheduled learning activities - online||
Online independent and collaborative learning including 1 x 1 hour online lecture per week (recordings provided), 1 x 2 hour online seminar per week.
The unit will consist of the following topics:
- the natural numbers, multiples, factors, prime numbers, divisibility tests, prime factorisation;
- rational and irrational numbers and their representations as fractions, decimals and percentages;
- the stages of a statistical investigation: posing the question, collecting the data, summarising, analysing and presenting the data; interpreting the results;
- techniques for carrying out statistical investigations;
- regular polygons; regular and homogeneous tessellations;
- an analysis of some of the work of MC Escher; creating Escher-type tessellations in the plane;
- the Platonic solids and their duals.
Unit Fee Information
Fees and charges vary depending on the type of fee place you hold, your course, your commencement year, the units you choose to study and their study discipline, and your study load.
Tuition fees increase at the beginning of each calendar year and all fees quoted are in Australian dollars ($AUD). Tuition fees do not include textbooks, computer equipment or software, other equipment or costs such as mandatory checks, travel and stationery.
Use the Fee estimator to see course and unit fees applicable to your course and type of place.
For further information regarding tuition fees, other fees and charges, invoice due dates, withdrawal dates, payment methods visit our Current Students website.