Applications for Trimester 1 2022 open 6 September 2021.
Applications for Trimester 1 2022 close 7 January 2022 5pm.
This scholarship is available for the normal duration of your course.
100% of your tuition fees plus $6000 per year towards study expenses.
Further support will include:
- English language course through Deakin University English Language Institute (granted on a needs basis)
- a transition program for new students prior to Orientation Week
- case management with supported referrals to relevant staff or services
- academic mentorship
- professional development opportunities and the possibility of casual paid work at Deakin University.
To be eligible you must:
- be an International student who holds a Temporary Protection visa (TPV) or a Safe Haven Enterprise Visa (SHEV) or be a person seeking asylum on Bridging Visa A (BVA) or E (BVE)
- be eligible for entry into an undergraduate or postgraduate by coursework degree at Deakin University (at time of application)
- be a student commencing studies in Trimester 1 2022 at Deakin University
- be studying full time
- not be an existing or previous Deakin Sanctuary Scholarship holder.
Preference will be given to students who study on campus.
Special conditions apply for the scholarship:
- Applicants must apply for course admission before their scholarship application can be assessed. Any scholarship offer will be conditional on receiving a course offer, acceptance and enrolment in 2022.
- The recipient must satisfy all requirements for admission into an undergraduate or postgraduate by coursework degree.
- This scholarship is for coursework programs only.
- Recipients will only be eligible for one Deakin Sanctuary Scholarship at either undergraduate or postgraduate level (if you have previously received a Deakin Sanctuary Scholarship you are ineligible to receive a second).
- Recipients will be required to attend an orientation program which will connect you to an academic support program.
- This scholarship cannot be deferred or intermitted.
- Payment is subject to satisfactory academic performance.
- Holders of this scholarship must inform Deakin immediately when their visa changes.
As part of the application process, you will also be required to upload supporting documentation.
Make sure you choose the correct Document type - 'Deakin Sanctuary Scholarship only - all supporting documentation' when you upload your documents. If your documents are uploaded into the incorrect document type they will not be considered when assessing your application.
Remember it is quality, not quantity. Aim to provide documents which are current, relevant and concise.
Supporting documentation should include:
- a copy of your visa
- a copy of your ImmiCard OR your passport showing your nationality and passport number
- statement of recommendation from a school (secondary or tertiary) or community leader (not a family member)
- other referee statements which could support your application.
Applying for a scholarship isn't just about meeting the eligibility criteria.
It's a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship - it’s your opportunity to stand out from the crowd and be recognised for where you’ve come from and where you need to go.
How to apply
Apply directly to Deakin
You can apply for this scholarship directly to Deakin through our Scholarship Application Portal.
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
What happens next?
You will be notified of the outcome of your application usually within six weeks of the application closing date. You can see the status of your application via your Scholarship Application Portal account.
You may be asked to attend an interview if you are to be considered for a postgraduate scholarship.
For further information please email the Deakin Scholarships team.
Next offering period
Following the application period detailed above this scholarship will again be available for offer in:
- Trimester/Semester 1 2023 (early-September 2022 to early-January 2023)
Application dates provided are indicative only. Please check closer to the application period for specific opening and closing dates.