BioDeakin staff profiles
Dr Paul Francis
ARC Future Fellow
+61 3 522 71294
+61 3 5227 1040
Dr Francis's current research includes investigations into: (i) the chemistry, spectroscopy and analytical application of chemical reactions that produce light (chemiluminescence); (ii) rapid screening of illicit drugs using flow-analysis and microfluidics; (iii) new methodology to determine the antioxidant status of foods and biological fluids; and (iv) the development of new ruthenium, iridium and other metal complexes for highly sensitive chemical detection in clinical diagnostic applications. In 2007, Dr Francis was awarded the inaugural Robert Cattrall Early Career Medal from the Analytical Chemistry Division of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute, for excellence in pure or applied analytical chemistry research, and in 2005 he received the Gordon Kirkbright Award from the Association of British Spectroscopists for his research into near-ultraviolet and near-infrared chemiluminescence.
- PhD (Deakin University, Australia - 2003)
- BSc (Chem. Sci.) (Hons) (Deakin University, Australia - 1999)
Relevant employment history:
- 2011 - present: Australian Research Council Future Fellow
- 2010 - 2011: Lecturer in Chemistry, Deakin University, Australia.
- 2004 - 2010: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Deakin University, Australia.
A list of the ten most significant relevant publications for the last five years:
- Direct detection of biologically significant thiols and disulfides with manganese(IV) chemiluminescence; G.P. McDermott, J.M. Terry, X.A. Conlan, N.W. Barnett and P.S. Francis; Analytical Chemistry, 83 (2011) 6034-6039.
- Confirmation of the classic tris(2,2'-bipyridyl)ruthenium(II) and oxalate electrochemiluminescence mechanism using EPR spectroscopy; C.M. Hindson, P.S. Francis, G.R. Hanson and N.W. Barnett; Chemical Communications, 47 (2011) 7806-7808.
- Any old radical won't do: An EPR study of the selective excitation and quenching mechanisms of [Ru(bipy)3]2+ chemiluminescence and electrochemiluminescence; C.M. Hindson, G.R. Hanson, P.S. Francis, J.L. Adcock, and N.W. Barnett; Chemistry - A European Journal, 17 (2011) 8018-8022.
- Screening for antioxidants in complex matrices using high performance liquid chromatography with acidic potassium permanganate chemiluminescence detection; G.P. McDermott, X.A. Conlan, L.K. Noonan, J.W. Costin, M. Mnatsakanyan, R.A. Shalliker, N.W. Barnett and P.S. Francis; Analytica Chimica Acta, 684 (2011) 134-141.
- High performance liquid chromatography with post-column 2,2'-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl radical scavenging assay: methodological considerations and application to complex samples; G.P. McDermott, L.K. Noonan, M. Mnatsakanyan, R.A. Shalliker, X.A. Conlan, N.W. Barnett and P.S. Francis; Analytica Chimica Acta, 675 (2010) 76-82.
- Precision milled flow-cells for chemiluminescence detection; S. Mohr, J.M. Terry, J.L. Adcock, P.R. Fielden, N.J. Goddard, N.W. Barnett, D.K. Wolcott and P.S. Francis; Analyst, 134 (2009) 2233-2238.
- Chemiluminescence from reactions with bis-cyclometalated iridium complexes in acidic aqueous solution; R.V. Kiran, E.M. Zammit, C.F. Hogan, B.D. James, N.W. Barnett and P.S. Francis; Analyst, 134 (2009) 1297-1298.
- The characteristic red chemiluminescence from reactions with acidic potassium permanganate: further spectroscopic evidence for a manganese(II) emitter; J.L. Adcock, P.S. Francis, T.A. Smith and N.W. Barnett; Analyst, 133 (2008) 49-51.
- A hybrid FIA/HPLC system incorporating monolithic column chromatography; J.L. Adcock, P.S. Francis, K.M. Agg, G.D. Marshall and N.W. Barnett; Analytica Chimica Acta, 600 (2007) 136-141.
- Tris(2,2'-bipyridyl)ruthenium(II) chemiluminescence enhanced by silver nanoparticles; B.A. Gorman, P.S. Francis, D.E. Dunstan and N.W. Barnett; Chemical Communications (2007) 395-397.
University recorded publications
Researcher output profile for Dr Paul Francis
Select another contact