Students under 18

Living independently in another country can be a daunting experience for anyone. This can be particularly challenging for students who are under 18 years of age. It is important to consider if your child is ready for this challenge and is prepared to adhere to the strict guidelines in place for this group of students.

Guidelines for under 18 students

International students under 18 years of age must demonstrate that they have adequate welfare arrangements in place before they can be granted a student visa. The options are:

  1. Nominate a parent/legal custodian or a relative over 21 years to be your student guardian. The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) will assess this arrangement, or
  2. Arrange for Deakin University to approve your welfare arrangements in accordance with the Deakin approved guidelines for acceptable welfare and accommodation arrangements. Deakin will issue a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter and the nominated start date and end date of your welfare arrangements.

Information about the Department of Home Affairs welfare requirements for under 18 student visa applicants can be found on their website.

Deakin will only approve welfare arrangements if it meets our guidelines. Students must have an agreement with one of the Deakin approved caregiver services and homestay arranged through Student Accommodation Services. Students cannot enter Australia before the commencement of welfare arrangements. This is a student visa condition.

Students must stay in approved accommodation and have care arrangements in place until they turn 18, including any period of non-enrolment. Any changes to welfare arrangements must be approved by Deakin.

Department of Home Affairs approved welfare arrangements

  1. If you are able to nominate a parent/legal custodian or a relative over 21 years to be your student guardian, complete the 157N Nomination of a Student Guardian form if a visa is required. This person must have either Australian citizenship / permanent residency status or a temporary visa. Remain in Australia for the duration of the student visa or until the student turns 18. If the student guardian needs to leave Australia during this time, alternative welfare arrangements will need to be put in place.
  2. Complete the Parents Declaration form. Return this form and identity document/s to Deakin. The identity documents must have a signature that matches the signature on the declaration.
  3. Upon arrival in Australia, the student will be contacted by an International Support Officer at the campus where they will be studying.
  4. Notify Deakin if there are any changes to the parents or guardian contact details.

Deakin approved welfare arrangements

  1. If you are not able to nominate a student guardian, please make arrangements with one of the Deakin-approved caregiver services. Complete the relevant sections on the Confirmation of Appointment of Carer form and send this form to your nominated caregiver service. The caregiver service will return the completed form to you or your nominated agent.
  2. Complete the Homestay Application for Deakin Students form.
  3. Complete the Parents Declaration form and attach and identity document/s. The identity documents must have a signature that matches the signature on the declaration.
  4. Return the 3 completed forms to Deakin.
  5. Once Deakin has received the completed documentation, the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter will be issued.
  6. Upon arrival in Australia, immediately contact the caregiver service.
  7. In the first week of studies, you will meet with the International Support Officer who will explain your obligations as an international students under 18 years of age.
  8. Notify Deakin if there are any changes to the parents contact details.

Deakin approved caregiver services

ISA Guardianship & Welfare Services

Contact us
Mr Ivan McKinney
Phone: +61 3 9663 2887
Fax: +61 3 8678 1317
Mobile: +61 401 995 900
Skype: isa-ivan
Email ISA Guardianship Welfare Services
Visit website

Professional Student Care (Australia) Pty Ltd

Contact us
Ms Kathy Liu
Phone: +61 3 8838 8976
Mobile: +61 438 686 699
Email Professional Student Care Australia
Visit website

A&J Student Care Services

Contact us
Mr Jessy Kakerissa
Phone: +61 3 9795 7767
Fax: +61 3 9801 2253
Mobile: +61 419 319 633
Email A&J Student Care Services
Visit website

Deakin approved accommodation service

Student Accommodation Services (SAS)

Contact us
Phone: +61 3 9485 1900
Fax: +61 3 9495 0001
Mobile: +61 413 754 267
Email Student Accommodation Services
Visit website

2018 SAS fees structure
Students are required to pay a placement fee and a weekly fee of $315 (Burwood) or $300 (Geelong).

For information about terms and conditions, general information and homestay expectations, please read the Homestay information document.

Your local carer/guardian

Your local carer (guardian) will meet with you on regular basis. You should discuss any concerns with your carer, or contact the carer when you need assistance (e.g. opening a bank account, going to a doctor, etc.).

If you have any concern or issue about your carer, please email us.

Changing your homestay or local carer

If you're under 18 and would like to change your accommodation, you must get written permission from your parents and approval from an International Student Support Officer before you move – otherwise your enrolment with Deakin University might be terminated.  Once approval is granted, Deakin will then notify Department of Home Affairs about any changes and whether or not it approves.

For full details of the requirements please read the Welfare arrangements for students under 18.

If you have any concern or issue about your carer, please email us.

Your safety and who to contact in an emergency

Deakin aims to make our campuses a safe and welcoming environment. Whilst on campus, if you or anyone is in imminent danger, contact Deakin's Security Services on 1800 062 579 or Victoria Police on 000. SafeZone is a free app that connects you directly to the Security team when you need help on campus.

In the case of an emergency off campus, please contact Victoria Police on 000 if you are in imminent danger. Your carer (guardian) should be contacted for all emergencies where there is no immediate threat. In the event that you are unable to contact your carer (guardian), contact Deakin Security on 1800 062 579.

Safer Community is a Deakin wide service that responds to reports of behaviours that are concerning, inappropriate or threatening, and allegations of sexual, physical or other abuse. Safer Community offer support to all parties involved. If you are worried about someone or something just does not feel quite right, please contact Safer Community (during office hours) for support, advice or information.