Elite Regional Sports Precinct
This collection of state-of-the-art sports facilities includes an MCG-sized AFL oval, FIFA-grade soccer pitch, eight-lane 400 metre athletics track, outdoor basketball court and more. It's everything an athlete needs to enhance their skills, all in the one space at our Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus.
Training the next generation
Deakin's proud history of sports education continues with the Waurn Ponds Campus' Elite Sports Precinct.
These facilities support the activities of a wide range of users, from elite athletes like the Geelong Cats AFL team to student-based clubs like the Deakin Ducks Soccer Club.
As well as world-class training facilities, the precinct provides students with placement opportunities too. These support enhanced career pathways into the sports and education industries.
Deakin's Elite Sports Precinct
At the Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, Deakin has world-class sport facilities to help athletes advance their skills.
The new suite of sports facilities will ... increase the number of people participating in sport and recreation across the Deakin and Geelong communities.
Day and night, year-round sporting excellence
During Trimester 1 and 2, the Elite Sports Precinct is a hub of activity with active classes, students playing sport, school groups and the university community participating in healthy recreation.
At night when the lights are turned on, the facilities come alive with soccer, athletics, AFL and baseball events.
In the summer months, the Elite Sports Precinct furthers Deakin's reputation as a national leader in sport as professional sports teams train, test and stay on campus.
The facilities at the Elite Sports Precinct include:
- an MCG-size AFL oval with perimeter fencing, behind-the-goal netting, sports lighting, video recording facilities and team benches and shelters
- a synthetic FIFA-grade soccer ground
- an eight-lane, IAAF-accredited 400-metre athletics track
- an outdoor teaching hub with direct access to the athletics track
- a 50-metre long-jump track and sandpits
- basketball and netball courts
- a new high-quality baseball diamond
- facilities that have been planned to be accessible, with pathways linking the sports areas and seamless synthetic playing surfaces.