Mr Bruce Gunn
Research Fellow Modeling/Simulation
+61 3 925 17707
+61 3 925 17716
My current research interests include the development of simulation models and tools that model both stochastic and dynamic elements within a system. Much of my recent work has focused on examining the dynamic effects in melting facilities for die-casting and aluminium cast-houses. Process models have been incorporated with discrete-event simulation to enable scenario testing and optimisation. Such modelling incorporates an understanding of heat transfer and metal flow in the overall model design.
I am also a program manager as part of the CAST CRC, which entails setting direction in the field of metals manufacturing. Much of the research at present is allocated to the design and manufacture of light metal components.
- Bachelor of Science (Applied Mathematics - Honours) (Monash University, Australia - 1988)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical - Honours) (Monash University, Australia - 1990)
- Master of Engineering (Deakin University, Australia - 2001)
Relevant employment history:
- 2001- Present: Research Academic, Deakin University
- 2000 - 2001: Production Analyst, Ajax Fasteners
- 1995 - 1998: Development Engineer, BHP Steel - Hot Strip Mill, Western Port Facility
- 1991 - 1995: Research Engineer, BHP Research - Melbourne Laboratories
A list of the ten most significant relevant publications for the last five years:
- Gunn, B and Frayman, Y. (2011), Improving casthouse throughput using discrete-event modeling, Materials Science Forum, vol. 693, pp. 3-9.
- Khosravi, A, Nahavandi, S, Creighton, D and Gunn, B (2010) Predicting amount of saleable products using neural network metamodels of casthouses, in Unknown (ed.), ICARCV 2010 : 11th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, pp. 2018-2023, IEEE, Piscataway, N.J.
- Frayman, Y, Gunn, B. and Nahavandi, S (2009) Towards a more holistic approach to Quality Improvements in Aluminium Die Casting, Proceedings of the Forth International Light Metals Technology Conference, pp 341-344, Gold Coast, Australia
- Nicholson, D., Gunn, B. and Nahavandi, S. (2005) A Decision Support Tool for Resource Allocation in Batch Manufacturing, The Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 3018-3023, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., United States
- Le, V.T. and Gunn, B. and Nahavandi, S. (2004) MRP-Production Planning in Agile Manufacturing, Proceedings from second IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Systems, June 2004, pp 405-410.
- Nicholson, D., Gunn, B. and Nahavandi, S. (2004) Simulation-Based Support Tool for Operator Performance in Batch Manufacturing, Proceedings of the 5th Asia-Pacific Industrial Engineering and Management Systems Conference and the 7th Asia-Pacific Division Meeting of the International Foundation of Production Research, pp. 1-11, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- Gunn, B., Wang, L. and Nahavandi, S. (2003) Systematic Cycle Time Reduction in High Pressure Die Casting, The 22nd International Die Casting Congress: Transactions Congress Sessions, pp. 75-82, North American Die Casting Association, United States.
- Mane, A., Nahavandi, S. and Gunn, B. (2003) Modeling a just-in-time plant using sequencing algorithms, Proceedings of The 4th International Conference on Control and Automation, Institute of Electric and Electronic Engineers, Piscatawny, New Jersey, USA.
- Nahavandi, S., Walsh, S. and Gunn, B. (2003) Using Information Flow Model to Specify the Kanban-Controlled Shopfloor Control System, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Manufacturing Excellence 2003, Engineers Australia, Australia.
- Gunn, B. and Nahavandi, S. (2002) Why initial conditions are important, Exploring New Frontiers: Proceedings of 2002 Winter Simulation Conference, pp. 557-562, WSC 2002, USA.
University recorded publications
Researcher output profile for Mr Bruce Gunn
Select another contact