Dr Michael Johnstone
+61 3 522 71104
Dr Michael Johnstone is currently a research fellow with the Centre for Intelligent Systems Research at Deakin University. His research is directed toward the improved performance of complex engineered systems, operating with uncertainty and variability, using process simulation, soft computing, and simulation-based optimisation. He has experience in a wide range of industrial sectors, including manufacturing, logistics, airports, warehousing and mining.
- PhD, Deakin University, 2010
- BEng, Deakin University, 2000
Relevant employment history:
- 2008- present: Research Fellow in Modelling and Simulation, Centre for Intelligent Systems Research, Deakin University
A list of the ten most significant relevant publications for the last five years:
- J. Zhang, V. Le, M. Johnstone, S. Nahavandi, and D. Creighton, "Discrete Event Simulation Enabled High Level Emulation of a Distribution Centre" 14th International Conference on Computer Modelling and Simulation (UKSim), Cambridge UK, 28-30 March 2012.
- S. Nahavandi, V. Le, M. Johnstone, J. Zhang, and D. Creighton, "Simulation-based knowledge management in airport operations" 5th International Conference on: Integrated Systems Design and Technology, Mallorca, Spain, 12-15 May 2012.
- G. Beliakov, M. Johnstone, and S. Nahavandi, "Computing of high breakdown regression estimators without sorting on graphics processing units," Computing, vol. 94, pp. 433-447, 2012.
- M. Johnstone, D. Creighton, and S. Nahavandi, "Status-based Routing in Baggage Handling Systems: Searching verses Learning", IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C: Applications and Reviews, vol. 40, pp. 189-200, 2010.
- D. Creighton, V. Le, J. Zhang, S. Nahavandi, and M. Johnstone, "Enhancing Returns on simulation Investments," in Australian JSF Advanced Technology and Innovation Conference, Melbourne, Vic, 2010.
- S. Nahavandi, D. Creighton, M. Johnstone, and V. T. Le, "Airport operations: a system-of-systems approach," in Systems of systems engineering: principles and applications Boca Raton, Fla.: CRC Press, 2009, pp. 403-419.
- M. Johnstone, L. Vu, S. Nahavandi, and D. Creighton, "A dynamic architecture for increased passenger queue model fidelity" Proceedings of the Winter Simulation Conference, 2009, pp. 3129-3139.
- M. Johnstone, D. Creighton, and S. Nahavandi, "Enabling industrial scale simulation / emulation models," Proceedings of the 2007 Winter Simulation Conference, Washington, D.C., 2007, pp. 1028-1034.
- D. Creighton, M. Johnstone, V. Le, J. Zhang, and S. Nahavandi, "Accelerated simulation model development for aerospace production and logistics support," in Australian JSF Advanced Technology and Innovation Conference (3rd : 2007 : Melbourne, Vic.), Melbourne, Vic., 2007, p. 74.
University recorded publications
Researcher output profile for Dr Michael Johnstone
Select another contact